Chapter 16: I Don't Know Anymore

NEWT'S POV
Rhea Rhea Rhea Rhea Rhea.

The image of her both calms and sends me into a panic. She was all I knew for certain that I could rely on. And now she's gone. The only one who never judged, the only one who understood and knew just the right things to say.

"She really cared for you, you know?" Minho says, from behind me.

I turn my head back to see him walking up to me. Rhea loved sunsets. She would watch them everyday on the mountains when we were at the ex Right Arm base.

"How would you know?" I ask harshly.

"I could tell. The way she looked at you, the way she worried over you. Yeah, she does. She's always worried. Always not showing weaknesses," Minho chuckles humourlessly. "She cared for you, Newt."

I keep silent for a while. "Do you know, Minho? Do you know that I'm a Crank?"

Minho's eyes widen. "What are you talking about?"

I roll up my sleeve and show him the black veins. I quickly pull the sleeve back down.

"I'm not immune," I say slowly.

Minho shakes his head, stunned. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to worry," I reply.

"How long have you been like this?" He asks, alarm in his tone.

I shrug. "Two weeks?"

"Newt..." Minho trials off.

"I don't know what to do anymore, Minho. She was the one person who anchored me to the world. She's gone now. And I can't... I can't!" I suddenly shout. "I just bloody can't!"

Minho shakes his head. "It's okay Newt. It's okay."

But it sounds as if he barely believes that for himself.

RHEA'S POV
I take in a deep breath as they insert the needle into my arm for the fifth time, taking more blood. I'm already feeling slightly lightheaded.

"That'll be all for today," Doctor Crawford says. "You may go back to your room."

I do, feeling numb. In my room, I see Teresa. She always seems to be with me these days. And it's been three days. I think I'm well accustomed to the place. I never actually forgot it.

"How is it so far?" I ask Teresa.

Teresa is really good at these kinds of stuff. She's a doctor/scientist. I was never good at that aspect. I'm more analytical, more physical as well.

"It's... complicated. Your blood seems to be working but not fast. Slowly. We need another component. We're wondering if it's... the natural blood type. Yours is a special one, the immune blood type. All of us immunes have it," Teresa says.

I raise an eyebrow. "So you're telling me you also need the components of a non-immune who's not infected at all?"

Teresa bites her lower lip. "Yes. That's exactly what we need."

"You need one of the kids, don't you?" I say, frowning, reaching up to adjust my hood only to find the space around my head empty.