Chapter 3: Found Them

NEWT'S POV
We got in pretending to be part of WICKED. We went in with a bunch of other WICKED Guards and then when we entered, we shot them all down. Tommy, me, Quill and Sonya were the only ones who came. The rest are at base, waiting for us.

We only just managed to rescue Sonya and Aris from WICKED's grasp, and that was two weeks ago. We still hadn't managed to save Rhea and Minho, though.

In my hand, there's a launcher. We all have launchers. It's weight is comforting, at the very least. Besides, fighting to get them wasn't exactly easy.

"Where are they?" Thomas shouts at one guard, shoving him against the wall.

We wear black suits with red sleeves labelling us as WICKED personnel. We managed to steal them from the Guards at the entrance.

"Your friends?" He asks snidely. "Locked in the canteen. That is, if they aren't back in their cells. Locked in there. You'll never get to them."

I shoot him. He goes into an electrical shock and Tommy runs down the corridor. I follow him. The girls had went another way to look and I'm glad. I didn't want Quill near me if we found Rhea and Minho.

Quill has started spending a lot of time with me. We're kind of close but I can't help but keep my distance from her. She doesn't like Rhea. And I just feel the need to keep my distance.

"Canteen? Cells? Wonderful," Tommy says.

"Why would they be locked in there?" I ask.

"Must be part of their security thingy," Tommy replies.

We take a right turn and then shoot down two other Guards.

"We need to get to the Canteen," I say, knocking one guard in the face with the launcher in my hands.

"We have no idea where that is! What if they're in the cells?" Tommy replies, starting to run once more, me following right behind him.

"Bloody hell," I curse to myself. We can't afford to separate. We don't know the place, and we're more vulnerable alone, which could result in one of us being captured.

"Canteen first," Tommy decides.

"Lead the way," I mumble, and we run down a set of stairs to the floor below.

I see a guard in front of us and meet Thomas's eyes, jerking my gun in the direction of the guard. Tommy understands and we both sneak up on him. I bring my launcher to his back and he freezes.

"Where's the canteen?" I ask, my voice deadly.

I know I'm not immune. I saw the veins on my arms and showed them to Tommy. I'm a Crank. But that won't stop me from going back to save Rhea and Minho. I don't want Rhea to know, though. It'll tear me to pieces if she knows I'm a Crank. She'll look at me differently, think of me differently and she'll probably stay away from me. No, I can't handle that.

Not when the reason I used to spend so much time with her was because she never treated me differently. She saw me for who I was, and if she sees me as a Crank now...

"Down the corridor, take a right and it's there. The gates will be sealed shut, though. There's no way that you're going to get in," He says.

"You clearly have met us," Tommy says, and I fire.

We dash down the corridor when two WICKED Guards point their launchers at us.

"Drop the launchers," one says.

Then there's a really loud crashing sound and a metal tray flies in the air and hits one of the Guards right at the neck. He slumps towards his partner, who's shocked, and Tommy and I shoot both of them.