Adam's First Wife

By the time Caleb figured I have had enough, I was coughing up blood. Blood from screaming in so much pain and everything else he did to me. I am pretty sure something inside me has been liquified.

"I have to admit, Raven, you are pretty impressive. I have tortured a bunch of humans, demons, and even some angels and I have to say you are probably one of the strongest creatures I have ever had the pleasure of torturing," Caleb bowed his head in some sort of respectful way.

"I honestly," I started, grimacing at the pain in my chest, "do not know what to say to that."

"Don't say anything, just listen," Caleb instructed. "Now, I know, after putting you through a couple of my favorite ways to torture people, you are pretty stubborn. I have come to the conclusion that you either know the answers I am seeking and you're very good with concealing them, or you actually don't know anything. Either way, with this observation, I have a hypothesis. You may not be talking now but after I show you what is behind the black screen of this television," he points to the far right corner of the room where the device was, "you might and will change your mind."

I gather the strength to laugh, which causes me to grimace, once again. "Even if I knew anything, which I don't, what makes you think that I will change my mind?"

"Raven," Caleb walked closer to me, a collar in his hand, "my beautiful darling Raven. Did you forget I have known you for about ten years? I know what makes you tick. Even though you acted all tough, pretending you don't care about people, I knew better. Even though you distant yourself from everyone, you craved a friend but you could never allow yourself to have a friend. Sure, you have Michael, but honestly, you knew something was different about him from the start. The thing is, Raven, you never really got emotionally attached to anyone because of your fear."

"And what fear are you referring to?" I asked him.

"The fear that if you start caring for someone again, they might be ripped from your life, once more, like your parents were," He responded, putting the collar around me.

"That's not-"

"Not true? Of course, you would say that. Confirming it would allow others, like me, to use that weakness against you. I want to test something. Let me ask you a sincere question. On a scale of one to ten, how much do you care for Mazel?"

I didn't exactly know where this was going, but I knew that I would not like it. My heart started to race and I forced myself to remain calm. "Who says I even care for her? She tried to kill me when I first entered this world, you know."

Smiling, Caleb rubbed his hands together. "Great! Then you should mind watching this." He nodded to the guy in the room who flipped a switch.

On the screen of the T.V. was Mazel, but I barely recognized her. Her appearance completely surprised me. They had shaved her head, which made her look like a total badass. If I had met her when her head was shaved, I never would have messed with her in the first place. Given the current situation, however, she did not look like a badass. She looked like a scared woman who was beaten and was covered in blood from head-to-toe.

Mazel was sitting in the corner, in a pool of her own blood. She had her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms rested on top of them. I noticed that she didn't have chains around her arms. Instead, she had a chain that wrapped around her stomach.

"What in the world did you do to her?" I asked. "Why did you shave her head?"

"We shaved her head because shaving a female's hair is like stripping away a part of their identity. Wouldn't you agree? Without your hair, what would you be? Nothing. Besides, she's a demon, she can handle a little pain or in her case, a lot."