Chapter 3

Later that day, while I was in my room, I heard yelling from Mama downstairs. I thought it would be best to stay out of it for now and comfort Liesel afterwards. When she came upstairs, I was about to ask why Mama yelled, but then I saw the state of her clothes and figured this was the reason.

"So it seems you are getting along with Rudy?" I asked, trying not to bring up Mama.

"What makes you think that?" She sniffled.

"Well, you aren't clumsy, so your clothes could only end up like that from you playing. You always did like to be rough about things. It's good though. You need a friend around here."

She stayed silent and I felt it best to leave things there.

After a very tense and silent supper, Liesel and I went to bed. I could hear her crying again but didn't want to speak of it and possibly upset her further. I heard Papa coming up the stairs and he approached Liesel's bed.

"I have just come to say goodnight" he told her softly.

As he approached her to tuck her in, he noticed her book.

"What is this? Is it your's?"

She nodded.

He slowly took the book so he could see it better and looked shocked at what he saw.

"Why would a nice girl like you want to read such a thing" He asked to which she only shrugged.

"Are you sure this is your's?"

"It wasn't always mine. It belonged to my brother."

"I see. Your brother, his name was Pieter Strauss?...Do you know what this says?" he asked.

She shook her head, ashamed that she has not been educated properly.

"Do you want to know what this says?"

I can practically feel her spirits lift as she nods.

"I'm not such a good reader myself, you know. We will have to help each other out. Ja? We better get started."

They spent quite a while just reading. I'm not sure how long because I fell asleep not too long after they started.

November 1938

It's been almost a full year since we moved into our new home. Life was nice. Liesel was settling in at school, and she was always hanging out with Rudy. Sometimes I'd tag along for a bit of fun. That boy was a handful. I don't know how his father can deal with him on top of all his other children. Herr Steiner was kind enough to allow me to work part time at his shop. I didn't know much about tailor work but I helped where I could. Like helping customers find the pre-made suits they might need or set them up to have custom made ones. It was mostly things like that. If it was quiet I might even help clean a bit. At least that's something I know how to do since I've had to aid both my Mamas with this.

"Klara" I heard Herr Steiner call me.

"Yes sir?" I replied, coming out of my concentrated state.

"Your shift is over, you can go home."

"Thank you Herr Steiner. I'll see you tomorrow, Ja?"

"You can take tomorrow off Klara, I have things to do so the shop will be closed."

"Alright, danke Herr Steiner" I called after him while leaving his shop.

That night, I lay in bed listening to Liesel and Papa read her book. From what I could tell, they probably went all night reading that book. I woke from my sleep when I heard them walking down the stairs. I followed, curious of where they were going. They went down to the basement.

"It's a dictionary" I hear him say as I quietly go down the steps.

I stop to sit on them. Just observing for now. The wall is painted with the letters of the alphabet. Some words are already written below the letters.

"Some of the words we have learned." He explains.

He plays a magic trick on her, showing a piece of chalk and telling her

"Add as many as you like. It's your's." She hugs him and thanks him which is when I decide to make my presence known.

"I should say thank you too Papa." I tell him.

"Why?"

"For helping Liesel. She was never lucky enough to be able to learn at school or on her own. Now she can. Words are the greatest gift you can give."

A while later at work, I come into the shop and greet Herr Steiner as usual.

"So I heard Rudy got himself into trouble yesterday. What was it this time?" I ask with a smile.

Herr Steiner and I had grown to be good friends whilst I've been working for him.

"He painted himself black with soot. Boy wants to be Jesse Owens. Says he's the fastest man on earth." He sighs.

"Well, at least he's ambitious. Probably the only silver lining to that."

It's silent for a bit before I start chuckling.

"It must have taken forever to get him clean." I laugh, making Herr Steiner look back at me.

"Oh this is funny to you? I'll make sure to send him to you if he ever does this again." he jokes.

Life was good here on Himmel Street.