Chapter 37

Bolin and I walked silently to the prison where Mako was being held.

There was an awkward silence between us, perhaps it had appeared due to the fact that since my return, I was given a moment to breathe, to think.  "I know you said that you forgave me, but we never really did talk about it" Bolin whispers, not looking to me, almost like a child fearful of an authority figure.

"I hardly think this is the time" I sigh.

"I don't know how much you know Dakota, but soon there may not even be a world for us to talk in anymore" he states, finally looking to me. "I'm sure you felt it in the Spirit World, but Harmonic Convergence is coming, and if Korra can't beat a dark spirit, we will live in ten thousand years of darkness."

"Then what do you want us to talk about Bolin?" I ask, expecting anger to rise within me, but its only a dull and shameful weight feeling as if it was pressed onto my shoulders. "Before I would have blamed for you for everything, but now I can't. You may have pursued Leinani and I, but I'm the one who lashed out, on more than one occasion."

"I want to admit my own mistakes. I should have talked to you and Leinani, told you that I was confused, but I didn't. I love Nani, so much, even if things are complicated. I love you too, but as my friend, and I believe it was meant to be that way."

I stop, looking to him with a small smile. "Hopefully this means you won't have to split up anymore fights between us over you" I say, pulling him into a hug.

"I hope not" he breathes fearfully, pulling away. "Leinani has changed since you've returned, as you can see."

"I know, we both have" I reply, as we continue to walk. "I always wanted her and I to be friends, just like our grandparents but I believe I may have ruined that. If I were her, I wouldn't forgive me either." Bolin remains silent, failing to respond. Gulping, I put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you, but I think I got it from here" I say, pulling away and walking before he could reply.

--

"How have you been?" Lin questions, walking down the hall with me to Mako's cell. I haven't seen her since that day with Amon, but her bending had since been restored. I suppose the rumors of Korra being able to restore ones bending was true.

"As well as I can be" I answer, looking to my feet. "I'm sure you've heard of what happened in the South."

Lin nods firmly, lips in a thin line. "I can say that I understand where you are coming from. When Tenzin left me for Pema, I was outraged. I'm sure you heard what happened to Air Temple Island."

"Still, destroying someone's island and destroying someone's life are two totally different things."

"You feel guilty, don't you?" Lin asks, in which I nod. She turns to me, her scar more prominent in the harsh light. "Then you're already better than me. To this day I don't regret a thing. Just don't let this stop you, learn and move on and make sure to never do anything like it again." She stops in front of a cell door, and goes to open it right when it creaks open.

Like cruel fate, I stand face to face with Leinani. Her eyes widen in surprise, but she quickly covers it. Without a word, she walks past me, heat radiating from her as she brushes past me. Lin sighs, motioning to the door, before walking after her.

Taking a breath, I walk into the cell, instantly spotting Mako looking out the small window. "It seems like we've both had an eventful few weeks" I say, his head whipping around.

"Dakota" Mako gaps in surprise, making his way across the room. Wrapping his arms around me, he pulls me close. "You feel smaller" he whispers into my hair.

I look up to him, tears pricking at my eyes. "I never should have ran away" I choke, looking down in shame. "I should have faced the consequences for my actions, but I guess the Spirit World was punishment enough."

"What do you mean?" he asks, sitting us down on the small cot.

"I went into the Spirit World, and I thought I was doing good by having my bending weakened. But something was following me, tormenting me day and night." His hand rests in mine, rubbing it comfortingly. "Sometimes I would see you, Bolin, Korra, my grandmother and maybe even Leinani, but I think even that was a dirty trick."

"Have you seen Leinani?" he asks warily.

Nodding, I sigh. "She hates me, just as I expected, but I didn't think her entire family would be there as well."

"You need to accept that she might never forgive you, Dakota. You may have tried to better yourself, but she could still always hate you" he states.

Nodding, I look to him. "Now, why in the name of the spirits are you here?"

"They think I sabotaged Asami's business, but I was framed" he groans. "Even Bolin believes that I would hurt Asami."

"What else has happened? I feel like I've missed so much" I sigh.

He leans back, his back pressed to the wall. "Well, a Civil War broke out between the North and South, dark spirits are becoming more populous, Korra and I broke up, then she left, and Leinani can bend, which you know."

"You and Korra broke up?" I question, almost relieved to have such simple issues surrounding our group.

"All of the tensions of the Civil War and Unalaq" he frowns, looking to me. "Are you sure you're alright Dakota?"

"I'm getting there. A spirit guide helped me, and Po is helping me face some things."

Mako takes my hand, smiling. "I'm here for you, sidekick" he whispers, my heart soaring with the nickname. "If you need anything, you know where to find me."

"The same goes for you too" I say softly, leaning close. We sit in silence for a long time, our hands intertwined. "Mako?" I whisper.

"It's been five minutes, Sidekick" he replies, to which I playfully shove his arm.

"What happened with Leinani?"

He sighs, looking away from me. "She was in a coma for a long time. Master Saki came and was so worried. Master Mika didn't leave her side, she was fearful of what would happen if Nani never woke up." I squeeze his hand. "Then she woke, but she was different, it took awhile before she told us, but she developed bending, and she's still trying to understand how to work it."

Frowning, I rest my head on his shoulder, not saying anything else. Self consciously, I pull my hand back into my lap, toying with my sleeve.

"Sidekick" he whispers. I look up to him, and before I can ask what he wants he leans forward, and presses his lips to mine. My eyes flutter shut and I kiss him back. His hand rests on my waist, pulling me closer to him. I move my hand to his face, running my thumb along the growing stubble. I seemed to have forgotten everything for a moment, but the moment he pulled away and looked back at me with a smile it all came crashing down. I was kissing my ex-boyfriend's brother, who had dated my best friend.

"I'm sorry" I whisper, standing to my feet, straight as a board. "I should go."

"Dakota" Mako tries, but I move to the door.

"I need to leave, Mako, I'm sorry" I frown, closing the door on him. Running a hand through my hair, I leave the police station, my mind racing.