-Operation Commence. [Chapter 20]

Start from the beginning

“Don’t say that you sound like Nan.”

She giggled and I just smiled.

“Old now am I?”

“So old.”

She laughed as she picked up one of my bags and I smiled as I picked up my main suitcase and we pushed our way through the crowds avoiding fans and paps at all costs. It was nice just talking to her again, she was probably the only thing I had really missed about my family and living in London.

-

I tried my best to remain focused on the loose gravel crunching underneath my feet of the driveway as I avoided my Mother’s gaze from the attic window at all costs. She didn’t look excited to see me; I can’t deny that the feeling’s mutual to be honest.

“I um…don’t think she’ll come down.”

Ellie shrugged as we approached the front door and as I took in the Pansies hanging in baskets around the porch I had a flash from the late days of Niall’s and I’s relationship last year and us stood on that porch as he kissed me goodbye, again, telling me that I was beautiful, amazing and that he loved me while the dim porch lights accompanied us and our lip connecting. Such memories.

“Doesn’t bother me.”

I mumbled forcing a smile as my Father flung open the front door and I was almost instantly engulfed in his arms. At least someone was half happy to see me, or at least had the audacity to act it.

“Ashley love! It’s wonderful to see you. It’s been so long that you’ve hung around here for a while I’ve began to forgot what your voice sounds like how terrible is that?! Do come in love, it’s still your own home.”

Yep. At least he has the audacity to savour my petty little heart.

“Hi Dad. It’s nice to see you too.”

I smiled as I pulled back from his hug. But as I caught his gaze I saw he was sceptical of my body, this jumper clearly was not baggy enough.

“My now I see you properly you really have grown up a lot in the past year, you know that? You’ve turned out to be a beautiful young lady, not that you weren’t before…How are the old boys hanging up then? How’s old Niall doing these days? I haven’t heard from him in a while.”

What did he expect me to say? Oh Niall’s fine Dad we’re just having a secret forbidden relationship right now behind everyone’s backs and we’re lying in the most ridiculous ways, no biggie, he’s just fine.

“Um, I guess they’re fine, he’s fine. I don’t really know…”

He realised my (fake.) distance on the subject and nodded forcing a small smile as he pulled my bags further in.

“Hey Ash come with me, I have to show you something!”

Ellie gushed already beginning to round the first corner of the stairs. I looked up at her and after giving my father another smile, my Mother’s absence still apparent, I followed her excited self-up there.

“Um Mum’s in the attic. There’s still some of your stuff up there so I guess she’s sorting that out…”

I just nodded as I followed her into her room and sat on her desk chair. She was beaming as she pulled something out from underneath her bed.

It was a board, a huge board. And from the distance I could see it was covered with pictures and in the middle it had the words We Love You Ellie! In bright pink bubble writing followed by a fancy xo.

“These fans made it for me; don’t you think it is so amazing? And it has like everything to do with my life on it. And there’s even some pictures of you on here, they really like you too Ashley!”