Chapter 4

Chapter 4

We sat around the dinner table, my cheeks presumably red from laughter. I twirl pasta around my fork, a giggle escapes my lips as Mason flicks sauce onto his forehead.

By now, Jacob and Jordan were with the leaders of the Sharks and had probably made it halfway through the interview without anyone getting pushed up against the wall.

I saw the two men walk in, they were both in their forties and had tattoos swirling up their arms and necks. They looked like they were ready to crack some skulls. I just waved and made a quick exit.

I finished my pasta and took the plate to the dishwasher packing it in. The door opened revealing the room, Jacob was holding the door open as the two men walked out and they shook hands. Jacob gave me a look before mumbling something about going for a drive. Jordan came up to me and smiled.

"Who are you picking?" I ask, turning my body toward him. He scratches the back of his head, "Ecstasy"

I sighed softly, "It's not because of me is it?"

"No, well a little" He quirks the corner of his mouth up.

I frown and follow him into the lounge room where the television was blaring. I sat and watched TV for half an hour although I wasn't really paying attention. I announced I was going to bed and curled up on a mattress in Jordan's room. I fell asleep quickly.

I woke up to the light snores seeping from Jordan. I sit up and climb out of bed, I started making pancakes for everyone. Jacob walked in suddenly, his eyes looked me up and down distastefully. "Good morning" I spoke, breaking the cold silence that filled the room.

He sat down at the wooden table, "Morning" He replied.

I cracked an egg, my mouth itched to ask him why he picked Euphoria. I finally decided to break the silence once more, "Why'd you pick them?"

He didn't look up from the newspaper in front of him, his eye brows were furrowed together in deep thought. "Because they're better"

I silently scoffed, he was such a child. "Okay" I forced out, I wanted to scream at him for being such a dickhead to me all the time. I sighed softly and searched the cupboards for a pan. I flicked the stove on and listened to it click for a while before it went up in small blue flames.

I made the pancakes, the smell slowly bringing the boys out of their slumber one by one.

"Cora, we have to go out for a family lunch this afternoon and we didn't make any extra reservations so you'll be home alone for a little bit" Jacob said to me, he was sitting across the table from me still immersed in the newspaper.

Jordan rolled his eyes and apoligized to me for his Dad while we washed the pan and cooking bowls. "It's fine"

I sat up on the kitchen bench and cleaned the dishes handing them to Mason who put them away.

It was fun being able to do something in a house, at home we'd let the dishwasher run and I'd sit up in my room while my parents watched the news.

I guess I should stop calling my parent's place home, because now this is my home.

I sat and read my book while watching the family run around the house getting ready, they were going to an Italian restaurant with their Mum's grandparents who were part Italian and extremely wealthy, well that it what David thinks.

I helped Mason with his tie while Jordan ran around trying to find David's 'good shoes'. It was a really warm feeling, the boys laughter and their playful comments.