Chapter 34: Flirtationship

Start from the beginning

I thought he had forgotten all about that but I guess I could never be that lucky.

Deciding not to mince words, I got to the point, "My editor Harry assigned the fundraiser to me, your parents apparently asked for me specifically. They requested I take some kind of portrait beforehand, that's not really my job but I guess money is power is influence and they certainly have a lot of influence around here."

"Wait, what?" His grip on the wheel tightened at the mention of his parents, "You mean you'll be in a room, alone, with both of my parents at once?"

"I mean I guess so, unless they have assistants or other rich people things like butlers to wait on them. I remember your mother had this woman Rebecca who followed her around looking so stressed so I assume she'll be there because she goes everywhere with her."

"My mother made Rebecca cry and then fired her for crying in public because it made her look bad," Murphy sighed, "Her new assistant is Glenda but you're right, you probably won't be alone with the two of them. And I'll certainly be there," His face brightened considerably, "You know you could be my date to this thing."

"I already have a press pass," Well I hadn't been given it yet but I'd certainly have it before the party, "so I don't need a way into the party."

"I know, but I can escort you in. We'll take a limo over and we can walk in together. You'll be on the arm of one of Belhurst most eligible teen bachelors."

"Murphy I'm literally dating you so you're no longer an eligible bachelor. Plus, not that I wouldn't want to walk in with you, but I need to start capturing the news and stop making the news. Also I literally live with you right now and the event is in your own home, why the hell would we take a limo? Would we just drive around the block or something?"

My mother was staying with her cousin in the city but, the one bedroom apartment didn't fit four people so I was still stuck with Murphy. With the divorce going on, we couldn't afford to rent a place while our home was being rebuilt. The Bureau had offered to let us stay in one of their shelters for people displaced which we had declined seeing as we had other places we could stay.

By now, the staff was so familiar with me the gates opened automatically when I arrived back and I was always greeted by someone at the door. Pretty often with a plate of cookies in hand, I swear I'm going to get fat.

Wait, the golden dress I bought for the Mayor's ball was in my house. Like when it was destroyed.

"Dammit I need a dress." I muttered, interrupting Murphy's diatribe about how much he hates some football douche.

Murphy looked over at me confused. He gently stopped his car before the stop sign, looking both ways before making a careful turn, "What was that?"

"I just realized I have nothing to wear to the stupid fundraiser." I groaned, remembering the hell that was my shopping trip. "The dress I bought for the Mayor's Ball went down in flames with the rest of everything I owned. I spent so much money on that stupid dress and now it's gone. I'll probably swing by one of the thrift stores next time in town and hope I can find something decent without pit stains."

"Or my family's tailor could make something for you, or I could buy something," I shot him a look, "I have money to burn and I know money is tight for you guys right now so let me help out."

"I live with you, you're doing more than your share to help me." We were stopped at a red light so I took the moment to draw my fingers through his hair, "I appreciate that so much so I can't accept any more help from you."

"Well then I'm going to buy you a dress and it won't be helping you. We can donate the dress afterwards to one of those groups that donates prom dresses to girls in need. I'll be helping someone else instead, you'll just be the middleman."

Dammit, that's actually a sound argument, "Fine but I get to help pick it out. I don't want to think about what you'd put me in if you had the chance."

When e got back to the house, Murphy went upstairs to his study to check his landline. The police apparently called Spitfire and left a message to update him on the T-Man situation.

T-Man, who refused to give the police another name so I'm still going to refer to him like that, called the police station earlier that day and threatened to attack the city. He left only the description, 'a man with a red T' to differentiate himself. That's how Murphy knew he was trouble. Murphy had left the car not knowing who he was going to meet but as soon as saw that red T, he notified the police and they sent out a local branch to section off the area.

It certainly explained a lot, filling in a few blanks, but he refused to elaborate on why he did all that. I really hate the theatrics of everything, why not just attack the city? Why call the police to 'threaten the city' and then just show up?

As soon as Murphy finished the first message, the phone rang again. He picked it up and was silent for a few moments before letting out a frustrated, "You let him escape?"

Someone forgot to lock his cell apparently.

~~~~~~~

Woohoo! Happy Super Saturday (and it is Saturday this time around)!

Here was my favorite comment:

Nova gurl u gots to dab on them haters

-RynSummers