Chapter 2: We All Know Villains Aren't Known For Their Creativity

The car was again silent and this time the air between us was filled with sneaking looks when the other seemed not to be watching and so many unsaid words. There was no way any small talk was going to fool him or even make this situation any less awkward so I chose to stay silent. It seemed Penn figured the same thing. Every so often though, he would watch me in the mirror as if he was trying to read me which is something he's been practicing since we were six.

It never worked though, I've got a mind of steel.

Penn has always been good at that, he always seems to know exactly how to deal with people. He always knows just what to say when someone is mad at him, he's a wiz at guessing a number between 1 and 100, and he always knows the answer to the teacher's question even when he isn't paying a lick of attention.

Now I know what you are thinking. Nova, could Penn be a...Superhero?

If I'm being honest, I don't know. That's something I have asked him more times than I can count and he's denied having any powers at all. To say I was disappointed the first time he denied it, when I was the ripe age of six-years-old, would be a big understatement. I almost jumped off my house and insisted that Penn fly up and stop me. Ice cream in the end did the trick.

"I really want some ice cream right now." I muttered to myself, unaware I had said it aloud.

"What?" Penn asked, looking at me.

Of course I had to say that aloud, I'm an embarrassment.

"Nothing."

The ride continued in an awkward silence. It stayed that way until I realized we were nowhere near our houses.

"Why are we driving into the city?" My eyes were glued to the place I call my home.

Every time I drive through here, I can practically imagine the streets teeming with life. I live in a more suburban area outside the city dense city area. Most of my friends are within the city limits and yet they always suggest hanging at my house. If I lived here, I'd take advantage of it.

All of my friends have a Chipotle and a Starbucks within walking distance. I have a Walmart and even that's like a mileish away.

Okay, so I guess that I could technically walk to the Walmart but that takes at a minimum, forty-five minutes. They can get to Chipotle in like thirty seconds.

"I told you I needed to talk to you." He explained, never taking his eyes off the road.

"You couldn't have said these things at home, or in the car on the way home, or somewhere that's not in the complete opposite direction of my home?"

"Nope." He shot back. "And I seem to recall a certain someone was in the mood for ice cream."

That shut me up quickly. All the good ice cream places were in town so whenever I was in the mood, I'd have to settle for some crappy place that was close. Penn didn't even need to tell me where we were going because any place would be better than the one I'm usually forced to go to, Lickity Splits.

Penn pulling into a parking spot outside my favorite ice cream place in Belhurst. He managed to get the spot close to the doors and got out without a word to me. Before I knew it, Penn was on my side of the car, opening the door. I thanked him and began walking toward the ice cream shop.

"I'll be right there, I left my wallet in the car." Before I could offer to cover it, Penn shot me down. "Coming was my idea, so the ice cream is my treat."

There was no way I was going to turn down free ice cream. This place is the best in the state too, they make all the ice cream themselves. Not only is it absolutely mouthwatering but they've got the coolest flavors because they make it here. I am sort of stuck on the idea of them making the ice cream themselves, it's my favorite part.