Chapter 1: A Surprising Discovery

I am (Y/N). I am about 17 years of age, as I can tell right now, anyway.  I've been a member of the Glade for about two weeks now. It was frightining, confusing, and dreadful all at once when I first arrived to the square, stoned in, grassy, green, field know as the Glade. Luckily, I had medical background from school (I assume) so, my main job in the Glade is a Med Jack. This new life that I have been given is hard, but it is all I know. I am now content to what has been made for me the past two weeks. I have nothing to compare it to, so I guess it's okay once you've adjusted to this kind of life. This isolated little town we've made with the materials given to us. As of right now, not much has proven to be exciting in this new life. Aside from the runners who come to be treated periodically, Nothing too interesting has peaked my interest. This way of thinking was altered dramatically this morning. 

        The light of day had just started to creep a cross the sky when Chuck shook me awake. My eyes still sealed shut with sleep slowly inched their way open. I rubbed the sleep off my eyes to see the pudgy little boy. The boy who befriended me on my frist day here. He can be annoying sometimes, but I'm greatful for his friendship. I think he looks up to me, in a way, which makes me love him like the little brother I've never had...or couldn't remeber. Still working on that part of my life as we speak. 

        "Hey (Y/N), wake up!! he whispered with excitement.  I was taken back a bit, because he never called me by my real name. He always called me "greenie". This is the nickname the glader's give new people for some reason. I let out a small laugh.

        "Why did you call me by my real name?" I questioned. 

        "There's a new greenie taken the name from you comin' up the box right now!" He started to breath heavy from all of excitement. "I thought you would want to see it." He lowered his enthusiasm when he said that part. I do get why darkness came over the conversation when saying so. Since I was the last person to come up from the box, the experience is stil very fresh in my mind. I was curious to see how it looks from the outside truthfully. "Maybe they will start to send girls.." I hoped to myself. There isn't something I would enjoy more than a fellow girl to talk to. Especially girl stuff and guys to joke and gossip about. But, on the other hand, I felt the reeling pain of what I actually can  remember. The tightness of your dry throat gasping for air lost on the way up from where ever it is you were before. The panic you feel with the realization that all you can remember is your first name, and maybe how old you are. The anxiety overwhelming your entire body when you see a herd of boys, all unfamiliar, all unwelcoming, maybe even a fear that one could take advantage of you. The questions that cloud your thoughts with no one to answer them. I feel for that greenie more than anyone really, especially if it's a girl. In the slight chance that it is a girl, I decided I'd follow Chuck to the box. 

        I was the last one to wake up, naturally. So, I arrived at the Box when the group leaders, Newt and Alby, were retrieving the lost soul out of the Box. I pushed my way through the sweaty crowd of boys to take a look for myself. All the boys let me through of course, because I'm a girl. I've eraned enough street credit and respect around here to get what I want 70% of the time. Those are good odds none the less. I finnaly got to the front when I saw him. A extremely, incredibly, marvelously, attrctive boy. Even with his tattered clothes, shakey voice, and fear in his eyes, I knew that life in the Glade just got a whole lot more interesting.