we're the last two boys on earth

"What do you love?"

I looked over at you. Blue eyes played with the sun's reflection. Hadn't we just had a conversation like this? "We talked about this."

"No, I didn't mean people. I mean things. Like, swimming or chocolate."

I thought about it for a moment. Then said, "I don't know. I love thunderstorms. And I love reading."

You were silent and tilted your head back to gaze at the clouds.

"What do you love, Lance?"

Your eyes met mine. They sparkled. "I love my family, and I love to watch stupid romcoms. And I love to swim. God, Keith, I love to swim."

I smiled. I knew.

"I love the beach, and the rain. Dancing, I love dancing."

I could picture you dancing in the rain.

"And I love you, Keith."

"We weren't talking about people."

"But it's true."

"I didn't say it isn't true."

"Do you love me?"

"Of course. You're my best friend."

Your smile could light up the entire universe. You leaned over, squeezed my hand and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "You're my best friend, too."

But I think we both knew we were more than just best friends.

"Keith?"

"Yeah."

"Can I ask you a question?"

You just did. "Of course."

"What makes you happy?"

At this, I looked at you.

"Because you are always so sad."

It was creepy how good you were at reading me. No one had figured me out this quickly. Most people just thought I was rude and grumpy all the time.

"What makes you say that?"

"I can feel it. Why are you sad?"

"You're not my therapist."

"Please?" And who could say no to a pout that cute?

"I don't have an easy life, Lance."

"Why not?"

What did you expect me to say? I knew I had somewhat of a dark story. Nothing like yours, filled with the happiness of a big family. I couldn't tell you the truth. I was sure you'd treat me differently for it. And I didn't want to ruin what we had between us. But there was only one way to know if you meant anything of what you just said.

"I am sad, Lance, because my mom left me when I was an infant, and my father is an alcoholic who doesn't give two shits about what I do and who I do it with." I couldn't keep the snarkiness out of my voice.

When you were silent I was sure you'd leave. I pulled my knees up to my chest to shield myself from the hurt I was sure would follow.

"That's a good reason to be sad."

I looked at you. The sun was setting and the rosy colors did incredible things to your skin and smile.

"But I think you deserve to be happy, Keith."

"It's hard."

"I know." And your eyes spoke of a promise. A promise to make me happy again.

This time, I was the one to lean over and kiss you.

- - -

Near the end of June it rained. A lot. Like, for a week nothing but dark clouds and a drizzle. Which meant we couldn't see each other for a while; your mom didn't let you drive in the rain and I wasn't feeling like walking to the other end of town and be soaked. So I stayed home. Three days locked inside the same house as my father. He didn't do anything. He never did. But that was the problem. If he'd hit me I would've been out of there in a second. But he just sat in his chair with a bottle of liquor next to him.

It felt like I was locked in a cage. All I could do was pace and wait for the rain to cease. I couldn't even sit on my balcony. The first two days were spent by rereading my books. I had a grant total of twelve books, each already read at least two times. I had gotten my collection of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy out of the small bookcase and sat down on my bed to read them. Perfect way to spend rainy days.

At the third day (I had read the first two books of the series) you came over unannounced, as you always did. You were soaked to the bones and looked like a lost puppy as you stood in my front yard.

"Come outside!" You had to yell so I could hear you over the loud sound of the rain. "It's fun!" And to show me exactly how much fun it was, you spinned around three times.

I held in my laugh, shaking my head and tugging my arms closer around my body. "It's cold."

"So what? It's raining, come on!"

You ran up the porch and to the door, where I stood. It was only then that I saw your bare feet. I wondered where your shoes went but you distracted me by wrapping your wet hand around my wrist, tugging it away from my chest.

"Come on, Keith! Dance with me!"

And how could I say no? When you were looking at me with those sparkling blue eyes of yours? When you were shivering from the cold but refusing to admit it to yourself? When you wanted to dance with me?

So I took a step forward. I let out a shriek as the hard rain fell on my head, immediately making my long hair stick to my face and neck. It was beyond uncomfortable but your smile easily made up for it.

And we danced. On bare feet, in the barely-there grass of my front yard. We jumped around and spun and shook our heads and shook our arms. We were ridiculous. Laughing like maniacs and screaming at the top of out lungs. Like there we were the only living creatures on earth. Us and the rain, that was all that mattered.

The mud completely ruined my jeans, but I forget about them, forgot about everything the second you grabbed my hand. You smiled close-lipped at me, mischievous glint in your eyes before you lifted my hand above our heads and started to spin me.

I searched your eyes to keep from getting dizzy. That proved to be an easy task. Your eyes shone and seemed to pull me in every time my gaze was somewhere close to your face.

It was impossible to determine how long I was spinning. What felt like years probably were mere minutes. That's what you made me feel like. Like every second was an hour, but every hour could be over in a second.

After a while I was too dazed to keep my eyes open. I trusted you to catch me if I fell and closed them. Suddenly the spinning stopped and I was leaning against your chest. When I looked up your head was drifting from side to side and you had six eyes. I laughed at no one in particular, just because I could. Closed my eyes and laid my head against your chest. Your arms wrapped around me.

And so we stood. Drenched to the bone, rain falling all around us, wrapped in each other's arms, the last two boys on earth.