it's not like before

* ❞twenty ↺ *

when jeno received a phone call from jaemin's parents the next morning, he couldn't believe it.

after all, jaemin had sat and talked with him the night before. how was it that a living, breathing human being was no longer breathing the next day? jeno decided it was just a sick prank, and headed over to jaemin's house to walk with him to school.

it was the first time he had walked over there in over a month.

"wake up, jaemin! that wasn't funny!"

however, no one responded.

taking the spare house key from where he knew jaemin kept it under the doormat, jeno unlocked the door.

the house was empty, and jaemin's body had long since been taken away.

jeno called for jaemin over and over again, barging into his room when he was continuously met with silence.

what he found was a sight very similar to what he saw the night before.

the room was littered with a garden of daffodils. they covered the carpet, the bed, and even the tops of the dressers.

for a moment, jeno couldn't move. there were more flowers in jaemin's room than there was in jeno's bathroom the other night. everywhere he looked there was a yellow petal.

he recognized them as daffodils.

a tiny flashing light on the side of jaemin's half-closed laptop caught jeno's attention.

this was it. jaemin's face would be on the screen when he opened it, laughing at him for being so gullible from the other end of a video chat.

jeno rushed over to the desk and wrenched open the laptop.

"jaemin, this—"

"hanahaki disease:
a disease where the victim throws up flower petals when they suffer from unrequited love. the illness can be cured through having the love returned or surgical removal, however any existing romantic feelings are also removed with the infection. if it occurs for too long with no action taken, the victim will eventually die."

jeno's eyes filled with tears, as he closed the laptop with a shaking hand.

what had he done?