Chapter 25: Tentacles

Kirino's POV

I'm so done with tonight. The first thing they do once we defeat the tentacle man is bicker back and forth pointlessly. I give up. I've thrown in the towel already and called it a night. 

I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach however, so I form an ice dome around us, since they are so intent on not leaving the area. Clearly, they just love being together so much that when we can actually leave, they aren't doing it.

I sigh in frustration. They are really testing the Buddha's patience here. 

"You! Ordering me around as if I were some sort of sheepdog!" 

"If I had a sheepdog, I would use it and not you. Too bad I don't have one so you would just have to do." 

"You...!" 

"Okay, that's it! That's enough! I've had enough of you two!" I explode. I'm about to slap them both upside the head, but a tentacle shoots out of nowhere and nicks my arm and completely detaches Dazai's arm! Another tentacle wraps itself around the three of us. Dammnit we weren't paying attention!

I see Dazai get thrown to a tree and Chuuya lands on a rock. The tentacle shakes me around for awhile, making everything pass like a blur. 

"Ability: Frozen Eye!" I yell, freezing the tentacles that wrap around me. I manage to shatter it and I land roughly on the ground, rolling into a rock harshly. I feel the jagged rock dig into my back. 

I unsteadily get up cradling my injured arm that's now throbbing. I feel trickles of blood run down my face. 

"Dazai! Chuuya!" I yell worriedly running over to the now-transformed tentacle monster. I try to freeze the entire thing, but it only shatters the outer skin. The inner layer isn't affected. It's way too thick! Everything I destroyed just regenerates again within a split second. 

"This thing is inhuman." I hear Dazai struggle to say from behind me. 

"You... Your arm..." I hear Chuuya stutter. 

I hurriedly turn around to investigate the damage and I'm horrified by the state of Dazai's arm. There's nothing there, but an empty socket. I feel tears prick my eyes and I collapse next to Dazai. 

"Dazai..." I manage to get out before I start to hiccup and tears fall out of my eyes. I grasp Dazai's remaining hand. 

"You two, there's something I want you to hear before I die..." Dazai lets out in a raspy, weak voice. His gaze is serious, without any trace of humor in them.

I listen intently, just in case it really is his last time with us alive.

"Dazai, don't go!" I cry,  "I love you!" 

"What the hell! This isn't your time —" Chuuya angrily yells, but he's cut off by Dazai in mid-sentence. 

"Boo!" Dazai happily yells, his actual hand popping out of the former empty socket. Wait a minute...

 I look at Dazai's supposed "arm" that the tentacle ripped off and realized it was only the shell, the bandaged cast and not the arm itself. 

"Oh Kirino-chan, you were so cute! I didn't know you loved me because you never say it!" Dazai cooes, rubbing his face on mine. I don't pay attention, still in shock and trying to process what just happened. 

Once my mind puts the pieces together, my tears instantly dry up and my bangs casts a shadow over my face. 

Chuuya grabs Dazai by his shirt collar in anger, and I don't stop him. This guy deserves the worst punishment in the world.

"I'm going into a fight injured. Why wouldn't I do this? Dazai casually explains as if he didn't just worry me to death, as if he didn't just toy around with my feelings. 

"Why don't you stop wasting your time on magic tricks and start thinking about how we're going to deal with that nightmare!" Chuuya yells at him, shaking his collar. 

"Dazai..." I mutter, a dark aura surrounding my body, making the two freeze in their conversation.

"Don't you dare talk to me ever and I hope you go die without me. I hate you." I angrily say. I'm beyond yelling at this point. I'm pissed off. How dare he play with my emotions like that. 

I face my back at him and stare down the monstrosity we now have to deal with. 

"You two figure something out, and I'll distract him." I command.

"Wait no, Kirino! You might just die if you do that!" Dazai protests. 

"Like hell I care, because you certainly don't." I glare. I may just be irrational because of how angry I am, but I just don't care at this point. I just want to get this over with and go home, if not home, then the afterlife. 

Chuuya grabs my arm to stop me, but I yank it out of his hold.

"Ability: Frozen Eye!" I yell, half in frustration and half to get me motivated. I may just go blind from this but I don't care anymore. 

I jump away from the tentacle that crashes at where I was last standing. 

I create large ice chains and shackles that trap its feet to the now frozen ground. It's not going to last so I create a large cylindrical ice dome that encompasses the entire thing so it's like a prison cell. I can't actually defeat this thing so I need to distract it as much as I can while those two devise a plan. This has always been how the Black Trio conducted business. 

I feel immense pressure on my eye from the sheer amount of ice I had to use and the amount of control exerted. This thing is huge! 

Blood trickles from my eye. 

"Not just yet..." I mutter to myself as I prepare for my next attack. I need to find its weakness.

I create a thin layer of ice that encrusts itself onto every part of the tentacle man, momentarily freezing the entire creature. It takes a few seconds for the tentacles to break free, but that's more than enough time for me to use my ice to probe its body. I found its weakness.

"Whatever the hell you two are going to do, aim for the mouth! That's its weakness!" I yell informing them. 

"Roger!" the two respond back, letting me know they heard me. 

 I do my best to retain the shape of the chains and dome, but I can feel the monster slowly cracking it no matter how much strength I impose to enforce the ice. The more I try, the more pressure I feel in my eyes. Right now, it's a sharp pain, as if someone were repeatedly jabbing my eye with a knife. But I need to keep going. It's difficult when this thing is probably a hundred, no, a thousand times stronger than I am in physical strength. My ice can't withstand its strength.

Suddenly, my ice dome shatters first and the tentacle is too fast for me to react. It wraps itself around my waist once more and throws me across the field, breaking a tree before landing on the next tree. I find myself coughing up blood and clutching my eye in immense pain. This is worse than the last time I had to overuse my ability.

"Chuuya... Osamu..." I mutter. I see Chuuya activating his ability's true potential and smirk. 

"So they decided to do that, huh?" I chuckle at the irony of this combination. 

These are the last thoughts I have before blacking out. 

A/N: Hey everyone! I'm finally back! I'm really sorry I couldn't update for awhile. I just recently got back from Japan and I've been busy preparing for college and working so I haven't had the time to write until now. Things are just going to keep getting busier for me so I can't guarantee fast updates, but I'll try my very best! 

For those of you who were asking, my trip to Japan was super awesome! I thought Tokyo would be my favorite city, but actually, I really enjoyed Kyoto and Osaka. Kyoto is really great for sightseeing historic shrines and temple. Osaka has food that I can't even begin to describe how delicious it is. Highly recommend takoyaki and okonomiyaki. If you want the Japan-feel you see on TV all the time, I would recommend Tokyo. But yeah, the trip was fun and I really enjoyed it! It's always good to be back home though; I get homesick within the first week >~<