Chapter 7: At Long Last

Dazai's POV

I walk around town, breathing in the evening air as I kill time. Since Kirino left on her mission, I would walk around like this, think about her and suicide. 'I should really head back to the Agency' I thought to myself. 'Ah, but then I would get yelled at by Kunikida.'

It has been four years since we've left Port Mafia and started a new life as members of the Armed Detective Agency. The environment is really different from Port Mafia, and I don't have to do as much work.

Oh, look. There's a pretty river over there. How blissful would it be to commit suicide on such a beautiful day in a river that is just as beautiful? Eager to try drowning, I jump into the river head first. Ah... this is bliss... I could feel my conscious waning, but before I could die, I was suddenly pulled out of the water like a fish that just got hooked on a fishing line.

Feeling peeved by yet another failed attempt at suicide, I flopped up from the ground swiped my head to the idiot who dragged me out of my bliss.

"I made it. Damn." I said even more irritated.

"Damn?!" the white haired boy asked in bewilderment.

"Are you the one that interrupted my suicide attempt?" I asked eerily while getting up.

"Uh... yes!" the boy yelled. Ah what a pain.

"And thank goodness he did too. This idiot can't get enough of his suicidal tendencies even after four years." I hear yet another voice, one I've been waiting to hear for a long time. She's back. 

I unconsciously break out of my character for a second as I whip my head to where I last heard her voice. She was standing right beside the white haired boy.

"Your face looks stupid right now, Osamu-kun." she says once again. I couldn't say anything but stare at her wide-eyed. I just wanted to hear more of the voice I've been yearning for everyday and engrave her appearance in my head, not that I ever forgot what she looked liked

"Kirino? Is that you...?" I asked in disbelief as I slowly walked towards her, stumbling a bit. I touched her face, brushing my thumb across her bandaged right eye, which was damp from blood. Snapping out of my stupor, I scanned her body to see her stomach bleeding and cuts littering her arms. 

My anger bubbled to the surface at the sight before me as I held her shoulders, "Who the hell did this to you?" My dark aura was leaking from me, but I didn't care at this point. I needed to know who the hell hurt Kirino. 

I could hear Kirino sigh before wrapping her arms around me, just like when we left each other four years ago. The feelings were the same, the warmth I felt at the time was rejuvenated in this one embrace. 

"I'm okay, Osamu. Don't worry, I took care of it." she said quietly as she hugged me tighter while rubbing my back in comfort. 

"Ahem..." I hear someone cough awkwardly from behind us. We both let each other go and turned around to see the white-haired boy that saved me earlier looking at the ground embarrassed. What a child.

Kirino entangled herself from me and asked the boy, "What's your name?"

I sulk in a corner as she stopped paying attention to me. She hasn't seen me for over four years, and she chooses to focus on another man?! 

"Uh..um... my name is Nakajima Atsushi! Nice to meet you!" he yelled loudly, and immediately after, his stomach growled.

What an honest boy. "Are you hungry, Atsushi-kun? I do owe you for saving my life after all" I asked in amusement. Kirino looked like she was about to burst from laughter.