31. Surprise

"So explain to me how this works", Wren said with his head in Art's lap leisurely drawing figures over a still flat belly. "Since you are pregnant and not Charlotte, does this mean that the baby could be human? How long will this pregnancy last and how will you give birth? Will you be able to change during the pregnancy?" He peeked up at Art who looked worried.

"I kind off asked my mother the same questions and she had no idea."

"What about Charlotte? She seemed to know that you are carrying triplets."

Art guffawed at the proud tone of his voice. "That is pure speculation and no she doesn't have a clue either." Art hesitated biting his lip. "How about a visit to Darren? Even if he doesn't know anything, maybe he can consult with my spirit wolf. I think it's worth the trip."

Wren sat up. "Actually that's a good idea."

"Yeah", Art continued with gleaming eyes. "I'll ask Alexi if he wants to join me. He's been dying to take a break from the humdrum around the wedding next week. I also know that Ben would be pleased with this opportunity to check on Stormrider one last time, so that works out perfectly."

Wren nodded. "The wedding is exactly the reason why I can't join you, but I'm sure I'll find someone available to escort you." He laughed at the big smile on Art's face. Dennis had become a fast friend and would jump at the opportunity to offer his services.

Eager for an answer Art could barely wait the three hours it took to make for all the arrangements. It turns out that Prince Rafael was as keen as his soon to be husband to get away from the Palace for a while. Adding another Prince also meant more security but they didn't mind. Alexi laughed happily when they passed the Palace gates and spurred on Stormrider, who greedily made use of the opportunity to stretch his powerful muscles.

"Thanks for including me", Ben said to Art.

"Don't mention it. I know you were looking for a moment test Stormrider. If he passes he will be allowed to participate in the wedding procession", Art smiled. His eyes fell on Alexi who was riding three horses in front of him. "Having Stormrider be a part of the wedding means the world to both Prince Alexi as myself", he admitted.

While Ben continued to observe Stormrider, Art fell back to ride next to Dennis. After doing such a wonderful job at healing Prince Rafael, Art pushed Wren to ask King Dimitri to keep the soldier on as a healer. Art felt proud knowing that the dungeon was now used for healing instead of torture. Dennis was full of excitement when he learned their destination. Apparently Darren's reputation is known far and wide.

"I'm sure that Darren will take the time to answer your questions, Dennis", he said supporting his nervous friend. "Maybe you should consider asking for an apprenticeship?"

Dennis looked excited at the possibility, but then sadly shook his head. "I don't think I can. My first responsibility is to the Royal Guard. I can't just up and leave." 

Art thought about that for a moment. "I don't think your responsibility would change if you trained with Darren for a while. I actually believe that the skills you could learn from him would make you more valuable for the Guards. Be sure to take a good look at all the possibilities before you decide."

Spike was riding last and smiled at Art who was waiting for him to catch up. "Wren was busy with the wedding. Why aren't you?" he boldly asked.

Spike pursed his lips. "Oh, but I was. Until a certain Omega needed a fieldtrip and dragged the future Kings of this Country along with him." The man flashed a grim smile. "I hope you have a good reason to see Darren because your timing stinks", he added.

"I'm pregnant. How's that for a good reason", Art blurted out sporting a smug smile. He grinned at the recollection of Alexi waltzing him around the room when he told him, also catching the desire on Prince Rafael's face peeking at Alexi's stomach.

Spike only flashed a sliver of surprise before he regained his composure and shook his head. "Of course are", he snorted. "You are aware of the fact that this only puts all of you under more scrutiny, dont you?" Art raised his eyebrows, making Spike sigh. "Not everybody wants a werewolf on the throne, Art. Now that you are fulfilling your part of the prophecy, the wrong kind of people are going to be very interested in Prince Alexi."

"Meaning?" Art asked worried.

"Meaning that any child of the Prince, adopted or otherwise, will be in mortal danger."   

Art was shocked. "You are kidding me! Why would anyone kill a child? All because of some silly thing an old witch said?"

"Not so silly to some", Spike answered with a hard expression on his face. "I think you underestimate the political charge behind the prophecy. If taken literal it means that your grandson will bring peace throughout the four kingdoms and rule over them. Why fight a war you're destined to lose if you can win it before it even starts."

Art placed a hand on his belly while real fear filled him. Charlotte flashed him a memory. "Just before we left the Santuary, Darren warned me about a snake in our midst. If he escaped war would fall on all of us", he said to Spike who's eyes seemed to fix on someone in front. Art froze when he saw that the man was looking at Ben. "No!" he exclaimed fervently making Spike face him.

"You are right. Ben is not the snake. Actually he belongs to a group that protects the bloodline of the werewolf king." He frowned. "I really wish you told me sooner. I'm sure Ben has some idea at who this snake might be."

"Wouldn't Nox be the obvious choice?" Art suggested with noticeable disgust.

"Maybe", Spike admitted, but somehow he didn't seem convinced.

Contemplating all this new and confusing information, Art felt glad that Darren was only two hours away staying with friends. They arrived a hour before sundown and set up the horses for the night. A friendly looking man waited for them outside the stables.

"Welcome to my farm. My name is Landau", he warmly smiled. His respectful bow indicated that he knew about the Royals in the party, but he didn't seem nervous about it. "Darren told us you would be coming", he said leading the way to the main house. "If you please", he gestured to Art, Prince Alexi and Prince Rafael pointing to a door on their right.

Spike peeked through the narrow window and saw a small square room, containing nothing more than a low table and floor mats, sparingly lit by a few candles. With one exit and it's only occupant being Darren, Spike nodded. "I'll be guarding the door", he said in a tone that made clear that he wasn't to be persuaded otherwise.

Landau entered the room and placed a gentle hand on Darren's shoulder, who seemed to be in deep meditation. "It will take him a few minutes to come to", he said. "Please take a seat. May I offer you some refreshments?"

"Thank you", Art answered when his companions remained silent. He frowned when he noticed their intertwined hands and waited impatiently for Landau to leave the room. "Why are you suddenly so nervous?" he asked, directly looking at Alexi.

"Can't you guess?" they unexpectedly heard Darren say, making Alexi blush deeply.

Art's jaw dropped when he saw Alexi shyly biting his lip while giving a slight nod.

"I think I might be pregnant too."