Chapter 2

Quinn struggled to keep a clear mind the whole way back to the Institute. First, she thought of how her mom and dad would kill her for almost dying, but quickly replaced that thought and remembered her younger brother, Sammie. He couldn’t see her like that, it would kill him. He was only 7 and looked up to her, idolized her. She was his world, and she knew she had to keep it that way.

Being a Shadowhunter often became a struggle and Sammie had to stay innocent, she would frequently think.

“Are you okay?” Cecily asked, dragging Quinn away from oncoming traffic. It was only 3 am and people were still out?

Most likely people partying, Quinn thought bitterly.

She looked up from the dark gray concrete, her combat boots clattering with each step she took. Gum and cigarettes were here and there on the streets with other unknown liter. London wasn’t dirty or sketchy, but the part they took to get to the Institute was. “Hmm?”

“Are you okay?” Cecily repeated, twirling a piece of her crazily wild, curly hair.

“I’m fine,” Quinn said as she stumbled, grabbing ahold of Cecily in the process. Quinn ‘oofed’.

The moon casted a shadow, giving Quinn a ghostly look to her as she struggled to stand up.

“What are you doing in our turf?” A boy walked out of an alley, Seraph blade in hand, and gave Cecily and Quinn a harsh look. The boy looked around 15 and had runes all over his arms and some were creeping up from his black t-shirt. A scar was noticeable along his jawline. He had messy, light brown hair that got in his hazel eyes.

His eyes are cool, Quinn noted.

He looked familiar. 

“Are you serious?” She asked, putting her hands on her hips and standing her ground. The boy blushed slightly, but quickly had his tough exterior again. He twirled his Serpah blade, Murat, in his hands before becoming bored with it.

Austin shouldn’t do that. He might get another scar, Quinn thought.

“Yes, I am,” he replied.

“Well, what do we have here?” An older boy came out of the shadows in an opposite alley. He was slightly taller than Austin, but not by much. The resemblance between the two boys never ceased to amaze Quinn.

Cameron was two years older than Austin, but a year older than Cecily and Quinn. Cameron still looked like his younger brother; light brown hair, but his was styled in a type of quiff. His eyes were green with brown flecks in them. When he lifted his chin, in the arrogant way of his, his birthmark was noticeable under his chin, like a type of deformed star.

Quinn always made fun of him for it.

“Having fun?” Cecily asked, crossing her arms and blowing her hair out of her face. She tried acting mature, but something like that made her look like a little kid.

“The most,” Austin said sarcastically, finally noticing that Quinn was struggling to keep herself together. She had gone blurry-eyed, clinging to Cecily, and rubbing the back of her head. “Is she okay?”

“Do I look okay?” Quinn snapped. Her voice was sluggish, like she had gotten drunk and partied with some heavy-metal band.

“Can you guys help me bring her to the Institute?” Cecily had draped Quinn’s arm around her neck, but that was a bad idea. Quinn was gripping for dear-life, which meant that Cecily was being strangled. She took Quinn’s arm and just decided to push her along the sidewalk, helping her walk.

“It’s just, like, a block away. She’s a fighter,” Cameron said slowly, pronouncing each word slowly, almost trying to not help. Austin gave him a look of disgust and rushed over to help Quinn, grabbing ahold of her waist and telling her he’d get her to the Institute. Quinn waved him off, telling him that he was being ridiculous and that she didn’t need his pity.