Chapter 2

May 18, 2020 edited

Better than before...No plot changes

  This man in front of me looked like my dad but it wasn't really him. Well not the person I knew. The person that sat there was his wolf. A very sick and possibly feral wolf. I don't know how I knew all this but I knew. Blaze had not said a word but I could feel her fear and her determination to run. She didn't have to ask me twice but I had to do this right. I didn't want to cause a scene and get people hurt. I don't think the man in front of me cared if he hurt people or not. Once again I didn't know how I knew any of this but I did. Maybe it was Blaze after all. Maybe it was her thoughts that I could feel.

"Mackenzie?" My dad called out. He tilted his head as if looking into me through my eyes. "What are you doing? If you think about running I would advise against it. You have yet to purchase your train ticket and I have men all around." he explained.

"Where have you been? I thought you were dead? I mourned your death!" I was pissed, hurt, and confused. I also needed to change the subject so I could figure my way out of here.

My dad sighed. I saw a flicker of something in his eyes. Did they just lighted back to his original colour eyes? Was my dad still in there somewhere? "Come sit and I will explain," he offered.

I was already shaking my head. I was standing 5 feet away and it was too close. "I need to use the washroom. I haven't been feeling well." I started to turn away from him.

"No! You will sit down. You are my pup and you will obey me!" His voice was low and cold. The growl was clear and so was the threat.

Unfortunately my temper got in the way. I spun back around and stared at him showing what I thought of his words. "You have lost that right a long time ago. I have taken care of myself for many years with little to no support from you!" With that said I walked away.

I stomped my feet towards the public washroom signs. They were down a hall by the food court. My mind was going a mile a minute. I needed to get away. He was not my father anymore. And what the hell is Jason doing with him? As far as I knew he wasn't a wolf.

"Look!" Blaze finally spoke up. When she sensed my confusion she clarified. "There is an employee door right after the washrooms. Go see if there is another way out."

She was right. I wonder if this place was set up like some of the malls I have been into. Behind the food courts there was usually a hall and delivery doors. This way the deliveries could be brought into the food stores without interfering with business. Looking over my shoulder once to see if anyone was watching. Not seeing anyone out right looking at me I slid through the employee doors. Looking left then right I saw what I was looking for. I ran full out.

"Tell me if you see anything I miss. Our goal is to get to the car. Fuck, I wish I would have put gas in it!" I told Blaze. I could sense her nod in agreement.

I wanted so badly to bust through the metal doors that were just ahead but I couldn't let anyone see me. Forcing my body to slow down before reaching the door I pushed it open slowly. First just enough to peek through then once I noticed it did lead outside I opened it a little more. There was no one in sight. Sneaking out the door I looked around and I was pretty sure I parked the car to the left of the building if I was remembering the layout right. Wanting to run I held myself back to stay close against the wall where the shadows helped give me a little cover. It has only been a couple minutes but I was wasting time with my slow movements. I didn't want to catch anyone's attention but this was wasting valuable time. My dad would be wondering what was taking me so long.

I had to risk it, I had to make a run for it. I took off running in the middle of the back parking area. I needed to cut some time and if I was wrong on the building layout then the car was not going to be where I hoped. Just as I hit the corner of the building I stopped again. Bending down, hugging the wall, I slowly peeked around the corner. My body almost sagged with relief. Not only did I go the right way but the car was practically in front of me.

Quickly looking around I noticed people walking to their cars and away from them. I had a clear shot and with the bonus of no one else being too close. Just as I was about to stand up I heard Jason's voice. "Find her! She went out this door." The calm, shy skittish Jason I knew was not the one I could hear now. This Jason was loud, confident, and demanding. Who the fuck was this guy?

I couldn't see him but I could tell he was by the door I ran out of. I couldn't risk standing up straight so I kept low, reached for the keys that were in my pocket and took off towards the car. My hands were shaking so bad, I had never been this thankful for a keyless entry car in my life. Hitting the button on the key the door unlocked immediately and I was flying in a few seconds later. Hitting the lock button I stayed low and slammed the keys into the ignition. Now the hard part. That alone was a task in itself. My heart was pounding so hard against my ribs I was having problems controlling my breathing, nevermind trying to drive in a relaxed manner. I was in complete fight or flight mode and flight was screaming. Putting the car in reverse I used only my mirrors. Not an easy task since I sunk as low in the seat as I could but still was able to see where I was going. If anyone looked my way I was hoping I just looked really short instead of someone who was trying to hide. Avoiding the main traffic in the parking lot I slowly made my way closer to the exit. Still watching my mirror I caught a glimpse of Jason standing where I was by the corner of the building, just a few short minutes ago. He was frantically looking around but still had not noticed me. There were a fair bit of cars leaving so I blended in.

The traffic was moving steady and as soon as I hit the exit I turned to head back towards the way I had originally come. It was then, when I hit the road, I heard a deathly howl. Somehow I knew that was my dad and he was furious. He lost his pray. Me.