CHAPTER ONE

Sometimes, life puts you through a mess of dark things, and you can't see why until it is all over and done with. Somehow, through all of the bad, everything seems to work out in the end, as if that is exactly what Destiny wanted.

When I was little, I always thought Destiny as my friend. But that changed when bad occurrences started happening to me left and right. I started to see Destiny as a long, drawn-out, complicated mess that interfered with my life and all the good things in it.

For example, for my tenth birthday, I was wanting to go to the movies, but I got sick and we couldn't go. I remember thinking my entire birthday was ruined. Another example would be on Valentine's Day when I was six. I had asked Johnny Lewinski to be my Valentine, but he had said no because Jennifer had already asked him.

These are small examples, just little things I've noticed through the years. But I've also noticed that afterwards, I was thankful for Destiny stepping in.

If I had gone to the movies on my tenth birthday, there would have been a good chance I'd have been caught in the fire that'd started due to faulty wiring. And if Johnny had said yes to being my Valentine, there would have been a good chance he'd have thrown up on me due to him eating too much candy. Poor Jennifer dealt with that.

Destiny has a crazy way of stepping in at what seems to be the worst times, but most of the time it actually has a hidden agenda. One that usually turns out to be good.

~

2 May 2015

60 days before . . .

"Logan . . ." I say calmly, staring undauntingly at the grinning boy in front of me. "If you shoot that water gun at me, I will come after you."

Logan doesn't say anything, just keeps standing in front of me and grinning.

"Logan," I stress after his no response. "I'm serious. I'm still in my school clothes."

He still doesn't respond. Starting to feel a little nervous at his weird silence, I put a steadfast, stern look in place. It works for a while, and we stand there daring the other to make a move. After a while, he finally takes a small step forward, the twinkle in his eyes telling me he already knows what I'm planning to do. Irregardless, I do it anyway: I turn and run. Behind me, I hear him laugh, and I know he's chasing me.

As I run through my unfenced backyard with Logan chasing me, I shake my head at the thought of how this situation occurred. After our school had let out, I'd stayed behind to catch up on some history work, so Logan was able to beat me to my house. When I'd gotten home, I'd found he'd already changed into his swim trunks, so right now he was currently chasing me in only shorts.

I guess this is what I get for being a good student . . .

"You can't run forever, Laynes!" I hear him yell behind me, and I look back for a second to find he is nearly on my heels and still coming up fast. With him being in almost every sport our school offers, he was always in shape. Add in his frequent trips to the gym every week and you had on your hands one incredibly fit boy. And right now, he was definitely showing how fit he was.

"Better run faster!" he yells, his voice taunting. He had sounded a lot closer than I had expected. Looking back, I see that he is in reaching distance of me.

Screaming, I push my legs to go faster. Slinging my purse off my arm, I throw it behind me and hear him yell in surprise as it hits him. Smiling, I look back to see it has given me a little bit of time. Right ahead of me is the tree that holds our treehouse with the rope ladder swaying in the wind. I run to it. When I reach it, I immediately start to climb up, but a certain someone with a water gun reaches me. I scream as he wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me off of the ladder. He swings me around so I am now facing him. Using his arm around my waist, he tightly presses me against him so there's no chance I can escape.