Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Come on Ariel, let's leave," says Dad with a smile. It's getting dark. Dad and I are fishing in the river. We've been using tridents, and I'm pretty good with them if I say so myself.  We've caught twelve fish, seven of which I've caught. Of course, we have to give half of our catch to the workers, who send the fresh seafood to the capitol. So we'll only get to keep six fish. It could be worse, I suppose. Other districts, like district 12 for example, get way less to eat than us. We're fed pretty well, only we practically live on seafood.

"Okay, Dad," I say. Dad gathers up the tridents. Technically, the people in our district (that's District 4 by the way) aren't allowed to have weapons, but most people have them for fishing or other reasons. Some people have them to train for The Hunger Games. Our district's sort of signature weapon is a trident. In fact, in the 65th Hunger Games a tribute called Finnick Odair won his hunger games by using a trident. Our district is considered a 'career' district because our tributes are normally successful in the Hunger Games. Our district doesn't  train for the Hunger Games as much as 1 and 2. In 2 especially, all the kids aged from twelve to eighteen, practice with swords, knives, spears and other deadly weapons. I can use a trident and sort of an axe, but I don't really train much.

The Reaping is tomorrow. I'm really nervous. My name will be in the glass bowl five times, because I'm sixteen years old. I don't take tessarae because my family is fed well, like I said before. In fact, it's uncommon here in District 4 to sign up for tessarae, unlike in the poorer districts.

Dad and I make our way back to our house.  My mother and my younger brothers Huck and Griffin  will be waiting. Huck is only twelve, tomorrow will be his first time in the Reaping. Griffin is fourteen, almost fifteen. I hope... no, it won't happen! It can't! They won't get reaped. I don't think I could stand it if one of my brothers were sent into a arena to fight to the death.

My mother is waiting when Dad and I return home. When she sees us, she gives a huge smile.

"Mmm, fish!" she says. "How many did you catch?"

"Twelve!" Dad announces. "And Ariel caught seven!" He beams proudly. I nod, by my thoughts aren't on the fish Dad is holding. While Dad and I were fishing, I forgot all about The Hunger Games and the Reaping. But as soon as we had finished, my mind drifted back to the subject.

Now I'm worried. I've been lucky to have survived four reapings. I'm not a Career, I don't want to go into The Hunger Games. If I killed someone, I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life.

"Ariel?" asks my mother. I guess my pained expression must have tipped her off that I wasn't paying attention. She exchanges a glance with Dad. A look seems to pass between them and I know that they know what I'm thinking about.

Just then, two boys rush into the kitchen. The younger boy, Huck has sandy blonde hair that sticks up in all directions. Griffin has brown hair, like mine. They both have blue eyes (just like the rest of my family) that are the same colour as the waves nearby.

"You're back!" exclaims Huck. "Did you get to use your trident, Ariel?" he asks excitedly.

I laugh. "Yes, I did. I caught seven fish."

"Wow!" says Huck in a tone filled with admiration. Griffin rolls his eyes. Dad shoots a reproving glance at him and coughs pointedly.

"Well done, Ariel," Griffin compliments with just a touch of sarcasm. I smirk back at him. Griffin's just jealous because I spear fish with my trident better than him.

Mother walks to our old iron stove to cook the fish. The people in the Capitol get fancy technology, but here in District 4 we just get the usual tired stuff- nothing special. In fact, you're lucky if you have a stove here. Some of the poorer people haven't even got that. Luckily, in District 4 there aren't many poor people. And the majority of us get three meals a day, or at least two. That's mainly because of the ocean, and all the seafood it provides us with. Although, you can still make a living out of catching and selling fish because not everyone wants to go and fish for hours.

I do, though. And so does Dad. That's probably why I get on better with Dad then my mother. My favourite time of the day is in the evenings when I go to fish with Dad. I love using my trident, although it's not very impressive. The handsome victor, Finnick Odair's trident was incredible. It was pure gold, and must of cost at least ten years of my Dad's salary. Dad works on a fishing boat, throwing nets overboard and catching fish. It's not the most exciting job, but he earns money.

All the people who fish in boats for their jobs are supervised by Peacekeepers from the Capitol. The Capitol have almost complete control here in District 4. You only have to look at the train carriages marked Capitol Seafood or the annual Hunger Games to know. In District 4, most people turn a blind eye to the Capitol and it's evil. These people see competing in the Hunger Games as an honour, not a death sentence.

But then there are a few people who grow restless, sick of working like slaves for the Capitol. Sometimes I'm scared there might even be a rebellion.

"Reaping tomorrow!" says Griffin in a cheerful voice. "May the odds be ever in your favour!"

I would roll my eyes, but the Reaping is too close for me to make fun of.

Dad frowns at Griffin. I glance over at Huck to see how he reacts at the mention of his first Reaping.

His face mirrors mine, pale and anxious.