Chapter 4

After the Reaping, I was brought into what we call the 'Goodbye Room' in the Town Hall. It's where they tributes wish their families goodbye. I've never been inside it before. I've seen the outside at the Reapings, yet they never show what happens inside. I don't know why, as the TV cameras film almost everything else that the tributes do.

The room is bland. The floors are concrete, and the paint on the walls is peeling.

The Peacekeepers pointed to a wooden chair. It looks hard and uncomfortable. I obediently go and sit down.

"You have three minutes," says one of the unemotionally. The other one walks to the door and pulls it open swiftly. In rushes in Mother, Dad, Griffin and Huck.

They all hug me, one by one.

"Listen, Ariel," says Dad in a low tone. "You can do this. You are fit, strong and smart. You know how to use weapons. I believe in you."

I nod, feeling a little spark of hope. Maybe I can do this!

Huck cries as he squeezes my waist. "Ariel!!" he sobs. "Don't leave me!"

I feel a tear trickle down my cheek.

Griffin is silent. "You'll be good. Remember, I love you." At this I almost start to breakdown. It's only a pointed cough from one of the Peacekeepers that stops me from crying.

"Next time we meet," Griffin adds. "We'll go fishing." I manage a tiny grin.

"Together?" I ask.

"Together," he says.

Mother kisses me on the head.

"Every tribute is allowed to have one token from home," she says softly.

Then she pulls a necklace from her dress. It is a golden chain with a small trident. Set in the middle of the trident is a small stone. Aquamarine.

I'm touched. Mother has worn this every day of her life. Dad gave it to her when they got married and it is so precious to her.

"Thanks," I whisper. I run my fingers over the smooth surface.

"Time's up!" barks up one of the Peacekeepers. I hug my family for the last time. Then I watch as they are marched from the room, Huck sobbing uncontrollably.

I feel a lump in my throat. This could be the last time I see the people I love.

***

Just minutes after my family exits the room, two people enter. One of them in Emerald, the other is a man I've never seen before.

"Well, hello District 4's female tribute!" Emerald says with a cheery smile. "What's your name again?"

"Ariel," I say. "Ariel Flamsteed."

The man extends his hand. "Flux Inchcape. I'll be your mentor."

I nod. I remember this guy. Dad mentioned him a couple of years ago. Flux was the fastest victor ever, winning the Hunger Games in just one day.  He made an alliance with the other careers and killed the other tributes. Then while they were asleep, he climbed a tree and dropped a birds nest on the careers. The birds turned out to be flesheating, and devoured his fellow careers. Smart guy.

And that's not mentioning all the extravagant gifts he recieived.

"The train that will take you to the Capitol will leave in..." Flux checks his watch. "Ten minutes."

"Finally," sighs Emerald. "You have no idea how depressing it is to leave the Capitol every year."

I restrain myself from rolling my eyes.

Flux calmly smoothes down his tie. Then we hear a knock on the door.

"Come in," drawls Flux.

In walks a Peacekeeper. "The train is here," he says in an emotionless voice.

Emerald springs up, smiling widely. "Come on, Flux and.... April?"

I sigh inwardly. "Ariel".

But Emerald is already walking and almost out the door. I quickly walk after her.

Opposite the Town Hall, on the train tracks sits a high speed Capitol train. It's silver and shiny.

I gape for a moment, but then Flux calls my name so I hurry over. The Peacekeeper pushes me inside the train and shuts the door.

Inside the train looks like nothing I've ever seen. There are so many things, from massive televisions to a shiny dining table with a bowl of fruit. A giant chandelier hangs from the ceiling.

Emerald sits down on a leather couch. She looks around the room and nods in approval.

"Good," she says. Then she jumps because a girl dressed in red is standing directly behind her.

Emerald glares at her then stalks through a door, probably leading to her room.

Flux nods towards me. "She'll show you to her room." Obviously he's used to this process. But he has a look of deep sadness, that makes me think he's known this girl before.

I follow the girl (who still hasn't said a word) out the door. As I turn around I notice a Peacekeeper pushing Otto into the train. His face looks blank, but I can see that he's nervous as he gazes around the train's fancy interior. He catches me looking and gives me a half smile.

Otto sits down next to Flux but I don't hear what they're saying because I'm out the door and entering my room. It is furnished entirely in a beautiful sea blue. I smile slightly because it reminds me of the ocean, and fishing with Dad. But that makes me sad, so I try to think about something else.

The train starts to move, slowly but then speeds up so we are going so fast that when I look out the window I feel dizzy.

I look out the window, and see the last of District 4 behind us.

Goodbye, I whisper.