The Beginning of the End? Ch. 11.1

Start from the beginning

"No, but I'm here," Rile whispered.

"Is Razz okay?" Alex turned blurry eyes to where Rile nestled.

"He's fine. You freed him. Good job." Rile stroked her hair.

"No." Alex blinked her eyes to clear them and she breathed deeply to calm her usual awakening panic. "No, not good job. New Kuni, same system, same slavery for the Anolis males." She laid her head back down. "Uhm, Cale, why are you here?"

"Clan bed, Alex. Just sleeping next to, not with, you. Want us to leave?"

"Yes, I want a shower. Long and hot. There's nothing for breakfast, so let's go out after my shower. Good thing credit card companies are not discriminating. I'll register with a new temp agency after breakfast."

"Can you shower with a fresh chest tube wound?" Gabe asked. "Doesn't it need to close? I remember the human healer telling me that."

"That's right, your girlfriend stabbed me. Your pregnant girlfriend. Get out." Alex sat up with care, holding her side.

"She wasn't, isn't," Gabe started.

"What part of 'get out' didn't you understand?" Alex asked.

Rile laughed. "Probably both parts. I'll help him out."

Gabe hiss-growled and Rile jumped out of bed, hissing himself.

"Ow," Alex said in irritation at being jostled. "Fire truck not being able to take a shower. You two macho morons beat the crap out of each other while Cale and I go to breakfast."

Cale offered her a hand. She studiously did not take it when she climbed out of bed but smiled at him so as not to offend him.

"I love sweats. I can sleep in them and go out in them. We'll find a diner, Cale."

"I'm coming," Rile said. "I want to eat more than I want to fight with Not-So-Perfect-Eldest-Son."

"Always your appetites first," Gabe said.

"I didn't impregnate an Anolis female," Rile replied and flicked his tongue at him.

Gabe rushed him and the fight was on.

Alex and Cale exited the bedroom. There was a loud thud as Rile knocked Gabe to the ground.

"Wait for me!" Rile yelled.

"No," Alex said. "Better make sure Gabe is down for the count."

There was another thud followed by Rile's yelp of pain.

"He didn't," Cale sighed.

"I'm hungry. Let's go." Alex walked out the door.

Cale and Alex walked in silence down the shady street. Alex either looked at the leafy canopy of the live oak trees or the large cracks in the sidewalk concrete and ignored Cale. Few cars passed them on the narrow street, negotiating the single lane left open due to cars parking on both sides.

"I changed my mind. Let's go to Atchafalaya Café," Alex said.

"Anywhere," Cale replied.

"Hold my hand. We'll go express."

Alex took Cale's hand and they speed-burst out of sight. They landed around the corner, in an alley, from the café.

"They're known for their bloody Mary bar on Sundays, but it isn't Sunday," Alex said. "I'm holding out for a martini, but a Mimosa will do in case they get picky about it being morning."

****

The hostess led them to a back booth, at Alex's request. Alex took a seat and Cale slid next to her, rather than across. She blinked in surprise but the waiter arrived before she could comment. He took her immediate martini order without surprise and Alex smiled in victory.