"We don't need proposals for that, Donald. The maintenance department said they'll handle it and I already gave them my permission."

"Yes, but I have very good recommendations, Sir."

Lucas paused to look at him and frowned. "I take it you refer to that company you contacted to refurbish my house. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about them anymore."

Donald frowned too. Oh, the nerve of the man. "Is anything the matter, Sir?"

"It has nothing to do with the staff in general but I'd rather not run into my ex-wife every time I go to the conference room, Donald."

Denial was always the first phase. "Your ex-wife?"

"Please don't tell me you didn't know Sara Amadi and I have a history. It is the general office gossip here or am I missing something?"

"No, Sir." Donald shook his head blandly. He would not be deterred from this mission, however. There was a lot of things counting on its success.

He went professional. "Indigenous, growing companies, Sir, are good for business. You talk about philanthropy and the need to invest in the Nigerian sector always."

"Legendary is an indigenous company, Donald. Where are you going with this?"

"Valiant needs the capital. Legendary is a leading name in the interior design business. They work for thousands of companies in and outside of the state. We don't need to fill their over-flowing pockets with more Naira when we can invest in smaller companies."

Lucas said nothing and watched him for some minutes, brooding. Donald squirmed under the man's gaze, hoping he didn't give himself or his intentions away. "You are asking me to be altruistic. What do you hope to gain from all this exactly?"

A lot but let's not get into details yet. "Helping out a very good friend of mine. The assistant manager and I go way back. This is my way of saying thank you for all the times he helped me become a better person."

The billionaire laughed suddenly at the seriousness on his face. "You didn't do that the first time around?"

I did, actually, but now this was more for my benefit. "Well, what can I say? He really helped me a lot. I feel like what I do for him isn't really enough."

Lucas nodded, going back to his files. He ignored Donald for a few minutes but the man was determined. He would not waver, no sir, not today.

"I'll see what I can do and I'll get back to you, alright?"

Donald nodded, smiling at him gratefully. Plan A was well underway.

+++++++++++++++++

Sara scanned the newspaper slowly, frowning at all the red marks she had made on them. Dropping it back on the sofa beside her, she scrolled through nairaland jobs to search for more. There wasn't much on the site and the few she saw did not pertain in her area of expertise or general knowledge. She was gradually getting frustrated.

After meeting with her son on Saturday, she had come to the realization that she needed a job and fast. She needed a stable income supply to be able to uphold her visiting arrangements with Lucas. He didn't agree that Freddie would come over to her apartment yet, but they would get to that bridge soon and she didn't want to be living off nobody when that time came. It took her three years to achieve the level of independence she had now. Walking out of her job in a moment of anger wasn't the best decision as she was sooner going to see the repercussions. Even if said Job hinted that she'd be welcomed back anytime if she do wished, she still had her doubts.