17: Some Months and Runaway Horses

Start from the beginning

After some minutes, I was racing the horse across the lands and doing many other things to occupy my time. I was feeling a lot better than I have been in a while but I guess putting effort into my resolve helped a lot. I looked over at the trees that lined my property and wanted to desperately ride over to Andrew's property and see what he was doing. Even though I know what he almost did, with the wish in place, he hasn't done anything untoward to anyone that I know of. Besides, I am not known for being the most sophisticated man either...
"Hold the reigns! Hold the reigns!" someone yelled.
"I'm trying but I can't find them! I can't open my eyes!"
"You're going to have to!"
"If I do then someone will get hurt!"
I stopped to listen more when two horses shot out of the line of trees. There was a black horse racing quickly as a beige horse was chasing after it. I rounded my horse around to get parallel with the black one, kicking my horse into a full sprint. I got close to the horse and grabbed the flying reigns, yanking the horse.
"Whoa!" I yelled, pulling the reigns on my own horse.
Both horses stopped at a skidding stop and I breathed heavily, looking at the reigns that were in my fingers tight. I looked at the person on the horse as they held their hands over their eyes. The other horse ran up and stopped on the other side of the black one.
"Thank you, sir. I apologize about this... Is this your land?"
I looked up and it took everything in my power not to say anything. Before me was Bastion, staring at me; which meant that the one on the black horse must have been Eadric.
"Yes, this is my land."
"I'm so sorry about this. Something spooked his horse and he... got scared."
I looked at his hands and knew that his fear was making him want to shoot heat from his eyes but ignored everything.
"You're alright, kid. Where did you come from?"
"Lord Higgaby's stables. I was going to teach my brother how to ride a horse but, as usual, something happened and so here we are."
"I'll help you get back to Lord Higgaby's lands if you like. He's a personal friend of mine."
"Thank you. What was your name? I'm Bastion Thrathum and this is my younger brother, Eadric."
"Pleased to meet you." Eadric said, taking his hands off his face to hold one out.
I shook it and smiled a little. "Do you want to share a horse or just let me lead you on this one?"
"I can just stay here."
I laughed a little. "Fair enough. I am Salem Barma."
Bastion gasped. "The duke?! Then we are forever in your debt, sir!"
"Please don't worry about it. I'm just glad no one was hurt."
We talked discursively until we got back to Andrew's stables and Eadric had gotten over his emotions enough to open his eyes. He looked at me and frowned.
"You don't look good, mister."
"Eadric!" Bastion growled, hitting him. "Don't talk to the duke like that..."
"It's fine." I said with a laugh. He acts like that toward me all the time. is what I wanted to say. "I'm sure your parents are worried about you."
I got off my horse and held my hands out to help him down. He tried to brush them aside but he almost fell off the beast and I caught him, setting him down.
"Don't be ashamed of help. It takes practice to get on and off without help."
Eadric turned away. "I ain't no lady."
"You said that Lord Higgaby was your friend?" Bastion said with a small smile.
"Yes, he's my friend."
"Bastion! Was that you I saw going across the yard?" a woman said.
I turned and swallowed. Minerva walked up but she was in a dress that was made for a lady. Her face wasn't dirty or sweaty like I had seen it so many times while she was with me in my manor and her hair was done in some sort of do that women wear. She was beautiful but it was sad as well...
"Oh... hello."
I bowed to her politely as she blinked at me but curtsied.
"Your boys ran across into my land. Something spooked the horse and your oldest couldn't get a hold of the reigns. Luckily I was out and about on my own horse and saw them in distress."
"Well, thank you so much. May I inquire of your name?"
"Salom Barma, ma'am."
"The duke?"
"I'm afraid so..." I said with a small smile.
"Minerva- Salom? What are you doing here?" Andrew said, coming into the barn.
"These boys ended up on my land." I said, gesturing to the two.
"Indeed... I'm glad that you're up and about. Uma said that you had been in bed for a while due to sickness. You're not contagious are you?"
"No, I'm not. I felt well enough to try and breathe some fresh air."
"Of course... oh, this is Lady Minerva Cavensold."
"I see."
"I see you've met my friend, the duke?" he said to her, slowly putting his arms around her waist.
I fought to keep my grimace from showing as I said, "Andrew, you never told me that you had stopped chasing women and settled down?"
Andrew gave a glare to me but kissed Minerva on the cheek.
"Well, we've been courting for a little while. You've been sick this whole time or I would have come over to tell you. I tried but Uma said it would be best if I didn't come in case it was something rather contagious."
"Hmm..." was all I could get out without sounding like a smart ass.
"Will you be going to Lady Granthum's dinner party next week?" Minerva asked.
"I am going to try my best. If I don't make an appearance soon, I shall be rumored dead, I presume."
"Mama, Mama!"
Minerva fell forward slightly and looked behind her.
"Xerxes."
"Sorry... You all left and I was scared."
"I'm sorry to intrude. I'll just take my leave." I said, getting sick from all the memories that never were but happened. I bowed. "Andrew, Lady Cavensold, Masters Thrathum..."
I went to get back on my horse but when I went to throw my leg over a dizzy spell it me and I lost my grip on the saddle, my feet sliding from under me.
"Salem!" was the last thing I remember hearing.