twenty-seven; quiet desperation.

chapter twenty-seven!
( quiet desperation. )
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
"NOAH? UH- WHAT are you doing here?" Finn scrambled to button his shirt back up while Carly stifled her laugh. what was she up to?

"I could ask you the same exact thing! you and Millie... you guys are practically uh-a thing! you guys–" Finn cut the rambling boy off.

"are nothing. she's my date to the dance. hardly even that right now, she's so stuck up the gay couple's asses that she probably doesn't even notice I'm gone," he spat, instantly putting is hand over his mouth in regret. Noah's eyes widened, and Carly snickered.

"and to quote William Blake: 'it is easier to forgive an enemy than a friend'," Noah sighed in disappointment, before turning on his heel and walking out of the janitors closet, closing the door behind him.

Finn sighed deeply, throwing his jacket back on and tying his tie. "that was a mistake... but I enjoyed it."

Carly bit her lip. "so... let's learn from our mistakes. meet me Monday. same place, 2nd period." and with that, she fixed her hair and waltzed out to enjoy herself, leaving Finn with a smirk on his face.

he waited until she was most definitely nowhere near so he wouldn't be accused, before rushing out and closing the door, trying to find his date.

"guh-gaten," Noah sputtered, grasping onto gaten's shoulder. gaten was the only one he could trust to tell what have had witnessed. the only one who would help him find out the right thing to do. gaten turned around to Noah, a concerned look on his face. "woah, what's the matter, schnipper?"

after the hype over jyatt quieted down, Millie had looked everywhere for Finn, asking everyone from jack to Caleb where he could be, getting the same shrug and sympathetic look each time. she was almost ready to give up and call the night unsuccessful, when he came up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. it startled her, making her jump and turn around, seeing the oh so familiar smirk staring back at her.

she smiled with relief. "where've you been?" she asked. oh yes, Finn. where have you been exactly?

"Noah and I had some stuff to take care of, where have you been? how's jyatt goin'?" he changed the subject. Millie's eyebrows scrunched. "I've been looking for you, and jyatt is going great. thanks for asking."

once Noah finished telling gaten about what he saw with Carly and Finn, gaten had a most exasperated look on his face. he was angry, yes, but he couldn't be surprised. Finn has done this before, and wouldn't care to do it again.

"what do we do?" asked Noah, the poor boy feeling guilty of the entire situation. gaten gave Noah a tight reassuring smile, thinking up something to do. while he didn't want to hurt Finn, he most definitely wouldn't stand by and allow Finn to hurt Millie like that, while he stood around ptetending to be oblivious.

"I hate to say it, but we have to tell her." gaten let out a sigh, upset with Finn for thinking it was okay to do that to Millie. "she won't believe us," Noah said. gaten knew he was right.

he thought for a moment, fingers pressed up against his temple. Noah did the same, thinking of a way to tell her that she would believe. "I've got it!" Noah stated. "I heard Finn tell Carly that he would meet her on Monday, the same place and second period. maybe we should have her see for herself?"

gaten sighed for what seemed like the millionth time; reluctantly nodding his head. they decided they would tell her Monday and allow her to enjoy the rest of her night, while the pair dispersed around the room to try to resume their nights before the previous up roaring.

Noah first went to talk to Caleb, who was seemingly preoccupied, so he moved around his friend group until no one else was available, letting out a sigh. he got a tap on his shoulder soon after, someone else having about the same luck, seeing as their date bailed for someone else.

"mind if I join you in your quiet desperation?" spoke the person who knocked Noah from his thoughts, that person being none other than lulu. Noah gladly accepted the offer, eager to finally have someone to talk to rather than drowning himself in his own thoughts with old one direction music playing in the background. the pair consistently talked throughout the entire night, that seemingly being the only thing that could've gone right that night.

__

AUTHORS NOTE!
y'all. this book is soon to come to an end. there's, I believe, one or two more chapters and then the epilogue until this is completely finished. I'm going to miss writing this so much.

afterwards, I'll be working strictly on editing this and making it all pretty and also working on finishing up ebullient and making THAT all pretty, and after that I'll be working on some other things I have in store for y'all. hehe.

also this chapters hella short and like dRy AsF and IM SORRY OK IM TRYING. this chapter, however boring and short it may be, was most definitely needed. not much fillie action, but I'm getting there.

okay, I'll see you in the next chapter 💋
__
published: may 2018
edited:—