Chapter Twenty-One

Happy Memorial Day I hope your day is good I love you a lot

Chapter Twenty-One  

It had been a long night. A night of caring for Ezra, a night of broken sleep in an uncomfortable chair in an uncomfortable position. I don't know if it's because I'm too tired to care, or because after everything that has been happening between me and Ezra, I've stopped caring altogether.

I sat in the cafeteria, allowing the eyes of all the students glare at me, but today, right now, I did not care. Nothing could bother me, nothing could surprise me, nothing could ruin my already ruined day.

Ezra Scott is not a problem for me anymore. He's just another task. How strange it is, to think about him, to say his name over and over and not get angry. After what he did today, opening the classroom door I realized maybe he wasn't totally heartless after all.

Maybe, just maybe, he cared for things other than himself.

I sat myself comfortably at a table and pulled out some textbooks. It was almost like I could physically feel the eyes of everyone around me, they were all staring me up and down like they couldn't believe I dared to step foot into the cafeteria.

I ignored all of them and allowed myself to get lost in my homework. I felt behind on everything I had to do for my classes, after an entire night was wasted to watching Ezra, making sure he didn't die in his sleep.

My heart sunk at the thought.

I jotted down random notes from my textbook and took a sip from a strawberry smoothie that was sour enough I cringed.

I managed to block all noise around me as I focused on my work. It was as if my table had stopped in time when the rest of the world was going on without me. I was okay with that; stopping, staying still. Everyone could be moving, noises could still be loud, but I wasn't part of it. I could pretend to be a ghost.

I was static.

I thought maybe it was a good thing to feel numb like this, to not care about what anyone thought; not even what I thought. That maybe I could survive college here at Trinity if I just didn't feel anything at all.

My seat suddenly shifted as someone sat beside me. An arm snaked around my shoulders made me snap back to reality in a matter of seconds.

I looked over, ready to defend myself if one of the students were pulling a trick. Instead, I came face-to-face with Ezra.

He sat back in my booth, his arm still around my shoulders. He looked only slightly better than this morning. His hair was fixed, and he didn't completely look like he was about to pass out and die on the floor.

My eyes narrowed, "What are you doing?"

He leaned his head back against the booth, he still looked so exhausted. "I need a break." His voice quiet, almost desperate, so I didn't argue.

I noticed all the eyes on the both of us. Everyone stared with shocked faces, like they couldn't believe Ezra was willingly sitting with me.

Ezra's usual group he sat with were looking at me as if I had stolen him from them. Part of me enjoyed their jealousy, the wicked side of me wanted them to be even more jealous. So, I slightly leaned back in my seat, allowing his arm that was already around my shoulders to pull me closer to him, only a little but enough to notice.

The girls staring looked mortified, it took everything I had not to laugh.

Ezra didn't seem to care even the slightest about everyone watching us, then again, I'm sure he's probably used to being in the spotlight. That must be exhausting.