~Chapter 14~

[POV Switch to Dave]

"Hey! What are you up to? You're supposed to be here in like 10 minutes. Have you even left yet?" I texted her, as I started to panic. If things get screwed up, what the hell are we going to do?

"Yea, we're almost there. What are you up to? I take it you're losing your mind since I'm not there yet?" She responded back.

"Ok. And I'm practicing." I typed back, as I sent her a picture.

"OH MY GOD WHAT GUITAR IS THAT!?!?!?!?!" She almost immediately responded back

"It's just some guitar that a friend got me years ago as a joke, why?" I texted back. 

"Here she is Dave." My assistant said as she and Scarlett walked through the curtain. 

When Scarlett walked through the curtain, her eyes lit up when she saw the guitar. 

"Hey Scarlett." I said as she walked closer. "Thank you for bringing her." I nodded to my assistant as she turned and walked out. 

"Oh....my...god...." Scarlett said breathlessly. 

"What? Are you ok?" I asked.

"That guitar.... was the same guitar.... my dad got me... before he left...." She barely whispered. 

"Oh Scarlett.... I had no idea.... I'm sorry." I said. I have never heard anything about her father since I met her. So I am assuming her father is a very soft spot for her. She's never spoken about him at all, I honestly thought that he was a part of their family, just a very busy businessman who wasn't home a lot. Apparently now I thought incorrectly. 

"It's fine. It happened a long time ago, don't worry about it. C'mon, we have to warm up and prep for the show." She said, almost without emotion. 

"Ok, as long as you are feeling well enough to." I said, knowing how hard it is to perform after having a very personal thing be brought to the light. 

"Of course. I'm up for anything, you know that." She said, still emotionless. 

"Ok, if you say so. Warm up with your guitar for a bit. I'm going to go see when they'll be ready for sound check. You gonna be ok alone for a few minutes or do you want to come with and have me give you a small tour?" I asked as I used my sly smile to get her to answer honestly. 

"I can just stay here and warm up. I think I need more warm up than you." She said. 

"Okie dokie, suit yourself. I'll be back in a few minutes." I said as I walked away, hoping she would be ok. 

[POV Switch to Scarlett's thoughts]

This is going to be amazing, I'm not going to let my father.... or failure of a father ruin this for me. Not now, not ever. I am going to do this, I am going to do this. I've worked so hard with Dave, Dave was more of a father than he was. I would be failing Dave if he ruined this... and I will not let that happen. 

[POV Switch to Scarlett]

As I was finishing up my riffs, Dave came back and gave me the thumbs up for sound check.

"You ready for this?" He asked as we walked down the hall for sound check.

"As ready as ever." I said. 

"Good, we'll be at soundcheck for a bit and then we'll be ready for the show. It all happens pretty quick. Even though there is a half hour break for everyone to get in." He said. 

"Ok." I said. 

[Time Skip to before the show] 

"Hey.... look, I wanted to apologize for bringing up the whole issue with your father... I never meant to, it was a complete accident. I know that bringing it up now probably doesn't help, but I just really want you to know that I am sorry." Dave said as he was almost in tears. 

"Dave... I know it was an accident. Don't get all hysterical on me now. I have no clue what I'm doing and I'd rather not have to do this all on my own. I don't care about him, ok? Bringing it up doesn't affect me anymore." I said, trying to get him to understand. 

"Five minutes everyone! Five minutes!" Some guy yelled out in the background.

"See Dave? We gotta do this, and we only got five minutes." I whispered. 

"I know, I know. Look, Scarlett, I am going to need you to be strong tonight. Even if I am not. Ok?" Dave said as he moved his look away from me. 

"Ok, fine. I can do that. Just lead the way Dave." I said as I opened my arms for a hug.

"I have makeup all over me, why hug me?" Dave asked. 

"Dave, I want a hug from you because you're my idol, you taught me how to play guitar properly,  we're about to go on stage together, and this very well may be the last time I ever see you in person. And, to be honest, you've been the closest to a father I've had in a very long time. So, can I just get a damn hug?" I said, trying to add on a little flare to make Dave smile. 

"Thank you... Scarlett.... You have no idea how much that means to me... You really don't..." Dave said as he bear hugged me. 

"And you have no idea how much you mean to me Dave." I said, returning the hug. 

"Alright everyone! Its showtime!!" The guy yelled again. 

"You ready for this?" Dave said as we started walking to our guitars. 

"As ready as I will ever be." I said, slinging my guitar over my shoulder."