What a Tangled Web

"Dammit, where is it?" I can't believe I lost my phone, what the hell is wrong with me.

"Jinx breakfast is on the table, I'll be home late so I left some cash downstairs so you can order out." My mom said as she walked into my room. I missed her. I stood there staring at her as if she was going to vanish at any minute.

'What do I have something on my face?"

"No...it's nothing. Have a great day at work. " I told her as she smiled and left the room.

I checked the time.."Ugh, it's late."

I scarfed down my breakfast and dashed out the door making it just in time to catch the bus passing by my house. "Awesome, just what I need today." So here I was walking four blocks to school. Not that I really wanted to go but anywhere was better than staying home all day.

"Jinx...Jinx hey do you need a ride?" I was surprised to turn and see Tommy pull up beside me.

"Oh no, I'm good thanks." I waved him off and continued walking, that's when I heard the door slam. I really hope he didn't get out of his car.

"I'm not going to let you walk." He grabbed my hand interlocking our fingers and I tensed up.

"Tommy I told you. .."

"Jinx I don't care what you said, you and I both know that's not what you really want," Tommy said matter-of-factly.

"It doesn't matter what I want." I whispered so he wouldn't hear me but he did.

Stopping in his tracks he turned and looked at me. I couldn't look him in the eyes so I concentrated on the mailbox on the side of me.

"Jinx of course what you want matters. Do you know how scared I am to lose you? I need to know what you want, if it's just friendship then that's what you'll get but I need to know." Tommy's eyes were searching mine.

"I don't know what I want honestly but I like you, I like being around you. You make me forget that I'm.....you make feel normal."

"You could never be normal, you're one of a kind Jinx and I want you to myself." I blushed and Tommy smiled and my heart....my heart betrayed me. I felt alive.

We drove in silence to school and I would catch him looking at me only to make us both smile. We were late of course but it was nice being able to walk this close to Tommy without every eye on us, judging.

"So fifth period, I want to take you somewhere." He had walked me to my second-period class which would start in about five minutes.

"Where, why?" I asked I didn't like surprises anymore.

"Quality time with my girlfriend." It felt weird hearing him say that.

"So if it's quality time with your girlfriend why do you want to take me?"

"I was referring to you smartass. Do you trust me?" He asked.

"Yeah, I do trust you." And i did trust him.

"Then just come with me." I nodded my head and the bell rang.

The day was dragging but I was glad it was almost over.

"Hey Sleeping Beauty. " I looked up from my seat in the back of health class to see Tommy smiling from ear to ear.

"You mind not doing that?" I told him turning my attention to our project.

"Not doing what? " He asked.

"Calling me that and smiling like that. People will start thinking something is up and i haven't fallen asleep in a while."