Flesh and Bone

The house was empty as usual. Mom must have found another excuse not to come home again, not that I could blame her. If I had a life I wouldn't be here either but after what happened a year ago I wasn't the same, neither of us were.

(Flashback A Year Ago)

It was a month into my Sophomore year at River High I had a close group of friends, we did everything together. I had no worries, a mother and father who loved me. I had an amazing life. I just got back from one of me and my friend's trip to the mall when I noticed my mom wasn't home.

"Uhm that's weird?" My mom was always home, baking something, her singing filling the entire house.

"Mom...mom you home?" Oh well, might as well get my homework out of the way. A few hours had passed and I had finally finished putting my homework away. That's when I heard a loud thud coming from downstairs, maybe mom was back. I was halfway down the stairs when I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Roger please don't do this, please we can figure this out together." That was my moms' voice...why was she pleading with my dad. He wasn't supposed to be home until late.

"Just shut up Mary I need to think." What did he have to figure out? I wanted to see what was going on but I was soo scared, I was frozen.

"Roger please don't do this, think about Jinx. Do you know what this will do to her?" What was going on? I willed myself to move only to stop in place again.

"Do you think I really care about that little bitch."

"Daddy..." My voice was barely audible even to myself.

"Roger?" My mom shouted at him.

"I'm sorry Mary I really am. We should never have had her, I begged you to have an abortion. She looks just like you, God I love you." What was wrong with my dad, he didn't sound like himself.

"Roger I love you but I would never have done that to Jinx."

"You always choose that little bitch over me. If she was gone we could be happy. We could start a new life."

"Roger No...please honey put the gun down, you'll hurt someone with that thing." A gun, my dad had a gun. Was he going to use it, wait he said if I was gone they could start over again? Was he going to kill me.

"Shut up Mary this is for our future. Mary please I don't want to hurt my little princess, please what's wrong with me." I peeked around and saw my parents in the kitchen. My dad was on his knees with his head on my mother's lap. She caught sight of me and her eyes bugged out, she was terrified.

"Run...Jinx run and hide." She mouthed and that's when my eyes caught sight of the revolver in my dad's hand. I backed away further and further away from them when I backed into the end table knocking a lamp over. My dads' eyes caught mine and I could see all the anguish in him fade to anger.

"You bitch." My dad had connected the end of the revolver with my mothers face. She made this muffled noise landing on the floor, blood oozing down her head.

"You're next." My dad was so scary, the complete opposite of what I've known. I ran up the stairs but my dad had a tight grip on my ankles pulling me down. He hit my head several times but I tried pushing the pain away, wanting to get away from my dad.

"Dad please, whatever is wrong with you we can fix it. Please daddy don't do this." He was hovering over me and at that moment I knew I was going to die. This guy, the man hovering over me had lost all trace of my father that he ever had. He was a complete stranger now.

"You should thank me, little girl, you'll go fast." I couldn't believe this was it my own dad was going to kill me.

"Will it hurt?" I managed to choke out.