3: Blueberry Failure

The next morning, I awake early to prepare promised blueberry waffles. Flour covers my hands, arms, and even face as I mix the batter, adding bueberries in the process. Biting my chaped lip, I carefully pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron, quickly closing it. Whew! First batch on its way to victory!

"Didn't you forget something?" I turn towards a bunny slipper wearing Harper, eyebrow quirked in amusment. Tilting my head in confusion, I wonder what she means...

Shit! The non-stick canola oil spray!!! I gasp when I spot smoke rising from the waffle iron, and go to yank it open. There, the poor blueberry waffle sits there, charred and stuck. "Shit!" I grab the waffle iron, flipping it over to try and release the black crisp. "Hot!" I scream running around the kitchen, desperately trying to tear my hands off the searing item, but it seems they have a mind of their own that doesn't feel imense pain.

Oh god, I probably look like and idiot, flinging the hot waffle iron above my head, screaming with blue eyes bulging out of their socket.

Not know what else to do, I throw it into the sink with all my might, making it rip from my skin while shouting like a warrior in battle. "ARRGGGAHHH!" I quickly run ice cold water over my hands, calming the burning sensation. Oh god this feels so good! "Sweet relief!" closing my eyes, I hear littles fits of chuckles that soon turn into full out cackles.

"You should...of seen...your...face!" Harper laughs so hard, her eyes tear. Oh so my imense pain is funny? I send her a glare, keeping a straight face, resisting the urge to laugh.

Harper grabs her stomach, hesterically laughing, and stumbles trying not to fall I'm guessing. Instead she backs right up into the kitchen table, her eyes bulge open as she falls hard onto the tile floor.

"What is goin on here?" My mom chuckles looking between the two of us and the steaming waffle iron. Harper and I looked at each other, lips quivering, then we just burst out laughing like she made the funniest joke we ever heard. "Okay..."

"Sorry for the mess, mom." I gasp between laughs, running a hand threw my knotted hair.

"Oh pish-posh, I got it, just go eat cereal or something. We've got a big day today!" I look at her confused and curious. She rambles on about waffle irons and sinks, scrubbing the counter with a blue soapy sponge. "Oh yes, and happy birthday Taylor!"

"Oh yea, happy birthday sis!" I thank them both while grabbing two bowls from the cabnet and a box of Lucky Charms. placing the bowls on the table, Harper all of a sudden jumps out of her chair, bolting up the stairs.

"What's shwe ina wush wor?" I mumble, mouth full of soggy marshmellows. I like picking out the charms first, they're my favorite part! If you couldn't tell by the grin on my face everytime I shove a spoon full in my mouth.

"Here!" Harper hands me a pink envolope with flower shaped stickers scattered about.

I open it, reading what she wrote:

Taylor,

Happy Birthday! Hope it's freakin' awesome! You really deserve to have a wonderful day, just relax and try to have fun. I know I haven't been the best little sister, but I really want to make things right between us. Mom wants that too. Hopefully this town will be it, maybe we can have a normal, happy life. I love you, Taylor.

Love, Harper

My eyes welled up with tears, threatening to spill as I placed a hand over my mouth, staring at the card. "Taylor? What's Wrong?" Harper tangles her hands in her hair, a worried look on her face. All I could do was just shake my head and look up at her. I then put the card down, jumped up and tackled her in a hug.