13: House Fire

It seemed I was in a deep sleep for hours until I was violently shaken awake. My head jerks back and I slowly realize I'm not safely tucked in my warm bed, but rather being carried outside. My eyes flutter open and see Cameron's arms around me, a determined look on his face. 

He's sprinting into the woods ahead of us and a glace behind me really wakes me up. I have to squit my eyes because the light of the fire is so bright it almost hurts. My house is invaded by flames in different shades of yellow and orange, and now I start to worry.

"Cameron! Cameron what's going?" I have to scream over the crackling flames and the shouts aroud us. Cameron glances down at me but doesn't say anything. "Cameron!"

A second later, he sets me down behind the safety net of the trees and bushes. "Cameron? What is going on? What happened?" I demand frantically. I back at the fire again and notice some pack members drenching it in water, but the flames continue to grow.

Cameron grabs my face and looks into my eyes, snapping me from the panic. Just looking at him gives me a sense of relief. His face is shadowed by the night sky, except for the occasional flicker of light from the flames that dance across his eyes. 

"Look at me, Taylor. I do not know the whole story of what happened but I have a idea of who might be behind it. And all I know is that you need to get back to the pack house where it's more safe for you to be," he says utterly calm. I begin to breath with ease again.

Until I realize that I don't see mom or Harper anywhere in sight. "Harper!" I push Cameron's hands off me and search the crowd surrounding my house. Mom and Harper came home before me last night so they were definitely in the house. 

Are they still in there? Did anyone think to get them? My movements turn frantic and a tear slips down my cheek. "Harper!" 

I gasp as Cameron envelopes me in his arms once again, lifting my feet off the ground. "Cameron, I swear to god do not do this right now!" I struggle in his grasp and become frustrated by how Strong he his. 

"Taylor relax. Your mom ad Harper are back at the pack house and right now I need you safe. I'm bringing you there myself," he growls in irritation with my struggling. He clenches his jaw and a vein in his forehead ticks the way it does when he's under pressure. He's hurt.

"Cameron, did you get me out of the fire?" I ask.

He glances down at me a few times before responding, "yea, why?"

I quickly study his clothes and arms and realized he's practically scorched from the fire. I jump from his arms and grab his hands before he could gather me up again. "Cameron, your hurt. You need help," I say seriously. "Your men can handle the fire, but right now we both need to get back to the pack house."

We have a stare down for a few seconds before he caves and reluctantly nods in agreement. I look back at the fire before we start heading to the pack house. Who did this?

***

As soon as I walk through the front door, I am tackled in a group hug by Harper and Jordan. "Taylor! I'm so glad you're alive, girl! Are you hurt?" Jordan pulls back happy at first, but then checks my all over for signs of injury.

"No, Jordan, I'm fine! But Cameron isn't. He's been burned by the fire when he rescued us," I inform her and address his singed skin. 

"Cameron's hurt?" Jaime walks in hurriedly toward Cameron and gathers him in a hug. "Come to the kitchen. Aunt Gia can help you." I follow them into the kitchen and sit down next to Cameron.

Gia gets out a special first aid kit for burns. Cameron slips off his shirt and she treat him with a blue gel. He winces as she dabs the burns on his chest that were blazing red. I quickly took his hand in mine and he squeezed as Gia continued to dab his chest.