2: I'm Wide Awake

I haul the last cardboard box over the threshhold, setting it gently in the living room. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I open the box, struggling with the 10 layers of tape. It was only traveling in a car, not a freakin' airplane in a storm!

Rummaging through a pile of CDs, I locate the artist who makes all my worries go away around 3 minutes and 49 seconds at a time.

Lets do this...

I bolt up the stairs into my new room, locking the rusty gold doorknob and jiggling it to make sure it works.  Stripping down into black booty shorts and a pink cami, I pop the CD into my laptop, cranking up the volume.

I'm wide awake          

I'm wide awake

I'm wide awake

Yea I was in the dark

I was falling hard

With an open heart

I'm wide awake

How did I read the stars so wrong?

Just the few first lyrics describe my life. I didn't mean for it to go so far. Being the stupid kid I was, I just listened to them. Wanting to fit in.

I understand how Harper feels. I went through the same stange when I was 14 too. But...but she won;t fuckin' listen to me. I don't blame her, she's just going by example.  

I wish I knew then

What I knew now

Wouldn't dive in

Wouldn"t bow down

I couldn't take it anymore. Legs becoming jello, I crashed on the ground, trying to catch my breath. Little wet crystals poured out of my blue eyes, as I uncontrollably sobbed. 

Empy. 

Why do I feel so empty.

I glance at the clock through a blurry wall of tears. 12 midnight. My eightteenth birthday. Another sob escapes me, another burst of tears spill out my eyes. I punch the ground over and over again, bruising my knuckles on the hard wood

"Your such a bitch, Taylor! So stupid, why-are-you-so-STUPID!" Two hands grab my wrists and I struggle to get out of the grip. "no, no, NO!"  The hands are now arms, wrapped around me, holding me still.

"I'm so sorry Taylor. I didn't mean what I said yesterday in the car." Wet droplets fall in my hair. "I love you Taylor, so much. So much..." Harper rocks me back and forth, shhhing me everytime I whimper.  A few seconds later, I wrap my arms around her small frame, kissing her on top of the head.

"I love you to Harper..." She shakes, and a strange noise erupts from her. I glance down and a smile tugs on my lips when I notice that the strange noise is laughter. She's laughing. "What?"

"You...look like...like a racoon!" She gasps between cackles. I swerve my head towards the mirror. When I catch sight of mascara running down my pale cheeks I giggle a little, then bark out a laugh, pulling her closer.

"Come on, you gotta get to bed." I stand up, hoisting her with me.

"Awww, but it's a Saturday!" She whines, not thrilled with the idea of sleep, but based on the dark circles under her eyes, she needs it. Yawning, I give her a little pat of the back.

"I'm not sure mom will like the idea of you staying up all night, now will she?" Harper sticks out her bottom lip, making puppy dog eyes that are hard to resist. Bending down, putting my hands on my knees, I whisper, "Tell you what, if you go ahead and lay that sweet little head of your on your pillow and dream of sugar plum faries and other shit, I'll make blueberry waffles tomorrow morning."

She ponders the bribe, finger on chin, leaning on one hip. "Fine. But I'm having whipped cream on them!" I chuckled as she pranced to my bedroom door. "And taylor?" I raised my eyebrows, silently teller her to go on. "Love you." I watch her turn and disappear int the dark hallway.

"Love you too..." That night, I go to sleep with a smile on my face.

^^^^^

Pic of Taylor on side--->

Next chapter will hopfully be longer!