Ch. 20: Dazzling, Dangerous, Deadly

Okay so here's chapter 20! Please fan, vote, and comment! I love feedback. If you hate it, then please let me know what I can do better, and if you love it, let me know! It would mean the world to me. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

______________________________________________________________________________________

            I gazed at myself in the mirror. We had checked into a small hotel to get clean and ready for the ball. I knew it would feel weird dancing with anyone, but Coby was probably at home reading my will and looking at my memories.

            Besides, I kept reminding myself, I wasn’t going with just anyone, I was going with Jace. He walked into the room and did a double take. He squinted and then smiled, “Wow Zoey, you look…gorgeous.”

            I grinned and looked back at my reflection. My impossibly strait hair was somehow curled and about a bucket full of hair spray coated it. It was dyed a more natural shade.

            Charlie had pulled it to the side in a fancy style and then forced brown contacts into my eyes. My dress was floor length and black. It appeared as if glass had shattered and stuck to it starting at my breasts and slowly spread out to the middle of the dress where the glittering pieces slowly dwindled and faded to the blackness. The dress sparkled in the light as I moved.

            It was strapless and fitting until my hips where it puffed out. With it I wore classy black heels. They were higher then I was used to, but they were easy to walk in. They were lined with dark filigree that twisted and curled its way up the shoe. When I walked, the dress lifted up a little to expose them.

            Jay raised his eyebrows at me cockily. He was wearing a black tux but his jacket was off and his white shirt was unbuttoned so his chest was bare. I rolled my eyes and buttoned the shirt.

            I pulled his tie tight and buttoned his jacket. He smirked and touched my cheek. For a minute I thought he was going to kiss me, but thankfully he didn’t. He just gazed into my eyes warmly.

            Charlie came through the door wearing a floor length sky blue dress to match her eyes. Her brown hair was dyed black and her pixie cut was curled leaving a strange effect. She was beautiful.

            Jay gasped and feigned the double take he had given me. “You’re quite the flirt today,” I teased. Charlie twirled, showing us her entire outfit. She was gorgeous. I smiled at her and Jay gave her a kiss on the cheek. Charlie linked arms with me and led me outside. I stumbled a bit on the heels, but Jay steadied me with a hand on my back.

             “Those are my girls,” He murmured, but I knew he was looking at me. I blushed. Charlie winked at me and we slid into a limo.

            “Why don’t you usually travel like this?” I asked rubbing the leather seat.

            “Oh, trust me, Isaac does. When he leaves, he’s really just staying in nice hotels and running the more business like part of this operation,” Jay explained sounding irritated.

            I nodded but said nothing. Mr. Rowan was the same way. I knew better than to mention anything about the Suppressors, though. I was just the cook and cleaner. The only reason I was here was because by a surprising turn of events, a high ranking Outcast happened to be my best friend.

            The limo stopped outside a huge hotel, and Jay gave me a small smile. He took my arm and walked me inside.

            Suddenly I was hit with a wave of camera flashes, strobe lights, cold hotel air, and throbbing music. I swayed on my feet and felt wooziness sweep over my senses. Jay pulled me closer and supported my weight.