The Hunt

Zoldyak Estate, York City

Zoldyak, a name that strikes terror and awe in the world, is a synonym for assassination. Zoldyak is the ultimate assassination organization in history, behind countless political and personal murders. But they have always eluded justice, leaving no trace of their involvement. A Zoldyak never fails a contract, and this time was no different.

Illumi Zoldyak, the eldest son of the family and a notorious ally of Hisoka, walked towards the control room. His phone beeped with a notification. He opened the text and saw a diamond symbol, which meant Hisoka had completed his mission. Illumi was not surprised, since the man he hired was the Magician himself. His father and grandfather might disapprove of his decision to send Hisoka on assignments meant for him, but Illumi knew how to manipulate him. While Illumi favoured poison as his main weapon, ensuring a silent and flawless kill, sometimes a trail of blood was necessary to instil fear in the world. Fear was the best tool for maintaining order, and Hisoka was the incarnation of fear for some people. He showed them the Zoldyaks' presence and dominance, and that's why he was too valuable to lose. He could also turn on the Zoldyaks in a fit of boredom. Working with him was a way of keeping him in check.
---
Two days earlier

Darrek Marco, the prime target of the hit, was an arms dealer who had gone into hiding from the League of Nations because of his involvement with nuclear warheads. Unable to locate him, the League contacted the Zoldyaks to carry out the manhunt. There were some jobs that the government couldn't be associated with and needed some 'outside' help that had to remain secret from the world and the media.

"Is he worth killing?" Hisoka asked, leaning back on his chair as Illumi was pointing at a location on the map of Gretsia.

He's alive, all you need to do is stop his heart. Every life is worth taking.

"You could say that," Illumi replied in his usual monotone as he brought up a location on the projector. The place indicated was somewhere in the Pascana Mountain region. Darrek might be safe from the League and their network, but no one could escape Illumi and his thousand eyes. "Take a look at this. Our Mr Marco used to be in the imperial army and once held his post against an entire enemy squadron alone until backup arrived. Thirty bodies were found around the premises. Think you can handle him?" Illumi asked as he went over the file on Marco.

"Not so impressive," Hisoka said as he yawned. "Is the jet ready? I want to see how Mr Marco will bleed."

"Yes, it's ready to take off. You'll be there by evening. The safe house also has an archive stored on the lower level that we need as well. Please don't destroy the whole place."

"You know that's not my style. Better hope he doesn't do it himself."

"We both know how you get once you start. Just don't go overboard."

"My hunt, my rules. You just wait for the confirmation." Hisoka said as he got up and walked out of the room. "And I'm not retrieving any bloody archives. Send your men after I'm done."

Illumi just watched him leave and sat down with the file. He stared at the photo of Marco, wondering what fate awaited him.
---------------------------------------------------------

Marco's compound, Gretsia

It started off as usual. Hisoka was slicing through Marco's guards like sheep. But somewhere along the way, he gave in to his old habit. The bloodlust.

Weak. So weak. Kill them all, they don't deserve to live in the world of the strong like you, Hisoka.

It might be a curse, but Hisoka knew how to use it to his advantage. It was a state of frenzy when Hisoka succumbed to his bloodlust. He only knew one thing: how to end the lives of those who opposed him.

When he regained his senses, he killed Marco and his guards. It wasn't enough to satisfy him, but he had completed another bloody chapter in the book of the Zoldyaks. The only thing that concerned him now was: who survived? And more importantly, who dared to attack him out of everyone?

"My, my, someone still wants to play. How fascinating." The bullet had missed him by a mile, but his senses were at their peak. It was only a matter of time until another body hit the floor.

"Three years, bloody THREE YEARS, we were after him, you bastard! We needed him alive!" The stranger shouted in anger.

"Not my fault you're bad at your job, my friend," Hisoka said in a voice that was cold and amused.

"Millions of lives are at stake, do you even understand the gravity of the situation? You're not leaving here alive, you maniac!" Anger was getting the better of Agent Crane.

"And who decides that?" Hisoka asked calmly as he turned around. Agent Crane was ready to pull the trigger and end it all right then and there when he felt something hit him out of nowhere. The impact was swift but noticeable. He looked down at his chest and saw a dagger buried in it.

"When...h..how?" Those were the only words he could utter before he fell backwards to his doom.

"All talk, no action. Another worthless attempt. Oh, dear." Hisoka said to himself as he leaned down near Crane's body to retrieve the dagger, pulling it out.

"Looks like Illumi will have to deal with this mess as well." He said as he started laughing and walking towards the forest surrounding the compound, wiping the blood off the dagger. He left behind a trail of blood, death and everlasting silence.
-------------------------------------------------------

What was he aiming for now up next?
Ever wondered how was Hisoka so good with knives?

Well, some of those questions may have an answer, and some of them may not but for the sake of finding something..... look forward to the next Instalment.