Chapter Forty-Five

Começar do início

Owen knew who I was. Apparently, I had sort of a reputation with HW even though all the people who had met me directly were killed when the compound was attacked.

I was glad, at least, that they knew I was on their side. Otherwise, I would have seemed pretty suspicious, and they would have killed me right here.

"You aren't listening to me," I complained. "I need to talk to someone who can help me."

"You aren't getting any help here," Owen said.

"But what about Trubel? She's done how many things for HW? And you are just going to let her die?" I demanded.

"What does or doesn't happen to her on her own time is her business," Owen explained coldly.

"She could DIE!" I emphasized. I knew it wouldn't help, but I was still about ready to start throwing punches.

"Nick?" a man asked, emerging from the elevator at the other end of the garage. I didn't recognize him.

"It's okay, Owen, let him through."

Owen moved out of my way, and I glared at him as I passed by. The man I was walking toward extended his hand. "I'm Gabriel," he said. "I was friends with Trubel."

"Nick Burkhardt," I said, shaking hands with him.

He smiled - though he looked uncomfortable to me - and said, "We know. Come with me." He gestured toward the elevator and made me lead the way. I entered, and he followed behind. Without realizing what I was doing, I pressed the button on the elevator that corresponded to the floor that Trubel had once lived on.

"You've been here a lot, huh?" Gabriel asked me.

"It was before your time," I explained. "So, do you know what's up with this cold shoulder treatment?" I asked. I was curious why, all of the sudden, I wasn't allowed in the compound. Gabriel didn't answer right away, and I got the feeling that whatever he told me wasn't going to be the truth.

"It's complicated," he said, and the elevator doors opened.

"Is it?" I asked.

"This way," he said indifferently, pushing past me to lead me down the hallway. A few armed guards opened the metal gates that separated us from the rooms ahead. The gates were like the gate that had been there before the attack on the compound, except now there were two instead of one. More secure.

Gabriel led the way to the back of the compound. It took some self-control not to open the door where Trubel's room was. Despite everything that happened, it still felt like I could open it, and she'd be there, ready to show me her favorite weapons.

After winding through a few hallways, we reached a room that looked like a less welcoming version of the interrogation rooms at the precinct.

"We can talk in here," Gabriel said, gesturing for me to enter the room. He shut the door behind us, and we both sat down at the metal table that was placed in the middle of the room.

"Why don't we start with you explaining why you're here," Gabriel suggested. He sounded curious, but also business-like. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one mining the other for information.

"Trubel is missing and I need help finding her," I said, trying to simplify the complicated situation as much as possible.

"Are you looking for her, or are you expecting to find a body?" Gabriel asked. He looked pretty casual, but something wasn't quite right about his inflection. He seemed upset somehow...

"Her, alive," I clarified. I was going to say more, but he cut me off.

"According to our database and paperwork from your precinct, Trubel is dead," he said.