Chapter 17

I didn’t have time to do anything with my hair or even shower before I was being dragged out the door. Max led me to the car and opened the passenger door for me, and I got in. I watched as he practically ran to the driver’s side and got in, then quickly started the car and began driving. It was kind of scary how he was acting. I had no idea what was coming next, and really didn’t want to find out.

As we made our way along the dirt path, I made sure to take in my surroundings. There were cornstalks everywhere. They would be easy to hide in incase Max and Carl followed Nikki and I. The path seemed to lead on forever, which kind of got my hopes down. We’d have to somehow escape at night, and who knew what kind of crazy animals or people hid in these fields at that time.

We finally hit a paved road and began driving amongst cars. There were many small shops scattered along the sides, all ranging from clothes shops to home décor. It was a nice little town, but I knew if I ever got away, I would never come back.

Max turned a right and we ended up in a parking lot. Once he got out, he stumbled his way over to my side and opened the door for me. Nervously, I took my seatbelt off and got out of the car, then followed him.

“We’re going to get some clothes.” He said, his words slurred together because he was talking so fast.

I didn’t say anything, just simply walked into the store behind him. I knew that he didn’t have a lot of money, so I wondered why he would even think it would be okay to spend it. We had it all planned out on what we were going to spend, and clothes were definitely not on the list.

We neared a rack stacked with skinny jeans. Knowing my size, he grabbed about six pairs, then began walking again.

“Um, Max, don’t you think that’s a little too much?” I asked.

He chuckled. “Nonsense.”

“But shouldn’t I try them on?” I asked.

“Nope.”

I stared at him in disbelief as he walked over to the men’s jeans and also grabbed six pairs for himself. My jaw was now wide open. I knew mania was bad, but I had never experienced it first hand with someone.

Just then a thought crossed my mind. There were a few people in the store, along with the workers, and I could easily ask them for help. I’d need police to go to the house to get Nikki, and I would show them where it was because I didn’t know the address. It was a perfect idea.

But I couldn’t leave Max while he was having a manic episode, could I? After all the stuff he’s done to me, there was still a little part of me that loved him incredibly. I loved the old him. I yearned for the old him to return so we could have a normal relationship. Deep down I wanted to stay with him badly, but I wasn’t stupid. I knew how abusive relationships worked out, and I wasn’t ready to just give my whole life to him, just so he could control it.

Scanning to store so I could find him, I spotted him at a rack filled with flannel shirts. He looked concentrated enough where I could get away easily. Being short was an advantage as I slyly made my way from rack to rack, hiding myself behind the clothes. I finally found my way to the cash register and gave the man a pleading look.

“Please, you need to help me. My friend and I are being trapped by our boyfriends.” I said quickly, then turned around to see Max coming towards me. I gulped and turned back to the man. “I don’t know the address, but the house is literally like, five minutes away from here. Please, there’s a long dirt road with corn all around it and it’s a pretty big house.”

Before I could get anything out, Max appeared at my side. He plopped the jeans and several shirts, sweatshirts, and pairs of socks onto the counter with a giant grin plastered on his face. I nervously looked up at the man and he was giving me a worried expression as he rang up all the items. I couldn’t tell if he believed me or not, but I silently prayed that he did.