Chapter 24

Sirens rang through my ears.

---------------------------

Red and blue lights devoured my vision.

---------------------------

Screams from Nikki played out like a horror movie until everything was silent again.

---------------------------

In and out I went. Darkness swallowed me whole after only a few seconds each time. I couldn't stay awake for long.

---------------------------

The road was bumpy. There were two men leaning over me and something was over my mouth. I felt like my whole body was on fire.

---------------------------

"Why won't she wake up!?" The voice was frantic and sounded so familiar.

I tried opening my eyes but it felt like they were glued shut. All I wanted was to figure out who it was and where I was.

I didn't get much time before I felt myself slip once again.

---------------------------

"Please Hollie, I can't lose you."

It was a different voice this time. My brain was trying to process it, but I was still in so much pain. I couldn't wrap my mind around anything.

---------------------------

"Hollie, I am so sorry I didn't do more for you. Oh gosh, how I would give anything for you to be okay. I love you so much."

That voice, another different one, was enough for endorphins to race through my body. I could feel the joy overload my emotions and I forced myself to open my eyes. It was like waking up from a dream; knowing you're still dreaming but also knowing you're coming out of it.

Once I managed to open my eyes, bright, white lights engulfed my vision. I squinted slightly and looked over to the person. Their face was buried in the blankets and their hands were holding mine.

"Mom." My voice was really raspy.

My mother's head shot up at the sound of my voice, a giant smile playing out on her face. "Hollie you're okay!" She shouted happily and wrapped her arms around my upper torso.

Seeing and feeling her was something I never thought would happen again. I would spend hours dwelling in self pity and depression over missing my family, and now I was right in front of my mother.

"I missed you so much." I whispered through the tears falling down my cheeks.

"Oh honey I've missed you too!" She said, then pressed the red button next to the hospital bed.

Not too long after that a doctor came running it. A smile instantly appeared on his face when he noticed my demeanor. "Hollie, you're awake." He stated.

I nodded my head. "Thank you for keeping me alive."

"You're one strong girl. It's a miracle you survived that crash." He told me.

Just then I remembered who else I had been worried about. "Where's Nikki?" I asked in a panicked tone.

"Hollie."

I quickly turned my head towards my left and my eyes landed on Nikki. I hadn't even noticed that she was in the room. "Oh my gosh you're okay!" I cried happily.

Nikki laughed slightly and walked over to the side of the bed. "All thanks to you, really." She told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You don't remember?"

I gave her a puzzled look. "What happened?"

"Hollie, you pulled me out of the car when--" She paused and looked down at her feet.

"When what, Nikki?"

I watched her take a deep breath and wipe underneath her eyes. "Carl's car was speeding towards us. I was stuck in the car and you were flown out, but you pulled me out just in time before--" Another pause.

"Before what?"

"Before Carl crashed into our car."

My eyes widened in shock. "What..."

"Hollie I'm so sorry." She said softly.

I quickly grabbed Nikki's hand and shook my head. "Don't say that, you didn't do anyhing." I assured her.

"They tried to kill us, Hollie."

"Well you know what, Nikki? Karma's a bitch."

Of course I was a little upset about what happened, but I had absolutely no sympathy left for Max. I had gone through way too much to feel anything for him anymore. I no longer had to deal with his crap. I no longer had to walk on eggshells around him. I no longer had to be away from my family.

Life was finally looking up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N) sorry for the short chapter and sorry for taking so long! Only a couple chapters left :(