𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘- 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

◆◆◆

— "𝐈'𝐕𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐆𝐎 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄

— "𝐈'𝐕𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐆𝐎 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄." Elijah informed, taking a look around the dilapidated and ruined neighborhood. The streets were covered in giant potholes that desperately needed to be fixed while a handful of younger children were playing around on their lawns.

It was a particularly quiet neighborhood for the most part until after the sun went down, and that's when the sound of guns going off took over the night. I was use to it by now though since I have always lived here. I just never understood how the neighborhood could stay so bad this long.

"I would believe so, white people really don't step on this side of town. It's almost like we're invisible to them." I explained as I stepped out of the car. Elijah didn't respond to my answer but walked next to me in silence.

"Amelia? Hank's daughter? Is that you, baby?" A older woman's voice yelled from behind. Elijah and I turned around in sync to see Mrs. Johnson standing on her porch steps with her hand sharp on her hip and a smile spread on her face.

"Hi, Mrs. Johnson," I called back, smiling wide also as I waved my hand. "Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!"

I could hear the old woman's laugh echo down the block. "Oh my baby, you've matured so beautifully! Your mama was telling me about your new job and everything and I'm proud of you." She said back trying not to eye Elijah too much, I could tell by how she darted her eyes back and front. "Tell your family I said happy Thanksgiving too, and don't be stranger since you in this part of town visiting."

I laughed as well, giving her a ear touching smile. "I'll be sure to, take care now."

"Oh baby, you know I always do!" She responded before settling back to watering her plant that was outside her window.

I nodded waving once more before turning back to face the steps that led up to my family home, the house of hell and epitome of dysfunctional. I knew the moment I would step in this house something bad would go down without question.

"So...are you ready?" Elijah questioned, looking at me with concern in his eyes. I wanted to tell him no and run back to my car to hide, but as easy as it sounds, it absolutely wasn't.

"I guess as ready as I'll ever be." I lied pressing the doorbell lightly. Knots started to form in my stomach as the seconds went by and I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest. My mind was clouded while my eyes focused on the cement covered stairs. It wasn't until I thought of how I was going about introducing Elijah, when I suddenly remembered that I never told Elijah that he was just my boss today and not my boyfriend. My eyes widened from my forgetful memory and glanced at Elijah.

"Oh, Elijah I need to mention s-" I started, but instead, was instantly cut off by the front door pulling open. My mother stood in the doorway with a bright smile on her face as her eyes traveled from me to Elijah.