~ Evergreen ~

Lavender. She smelt like lavender.

That unmistakable earthy, floral scent surrounded me, flooding all my senses.

I was drowning in it, craving it.

Eyes closed, ears open I tried so hard to hear for her but all that I was met with was deathly silence.

The wind blew in my face with fury - carrying her scent and indicating her direction, almost as if it understood my desperation and came to my aid.When I saw the gathering of trees I knew I was right.

The Evergreen forest stood still and calm, swaying side to side every now and then, growing larger and larger as we approached it.

They say once you walk into the Evergreen, you may never walk out.

"Are you sure she's in there Etienne? (Et-yee-en) We are walking into unknown territory" Warned Aiden eyeing the forest with distaste, he never did like crowded areas.

"Positive" I smirked knowing he wasn't going to enjoy this mission, he was coming either way though.

I checked my tracking device and signalled the first group to follow my lead, turning back to see my second team preparing their station before heading straight in.

The Evergreen had an ironic name, to most humans it may look like any other forest, but for us, it tinged with a purple hue, hinting that it really wasn't like any other forest as you may have first thought. No one knew when and where it came from, one day there was a fairly empty field - and the next there was this breathtaking bundle of lilac trees which was enchanting yet threatening at the same time.

 No one knew when and where it came from, one day there was a fairly empty field -  and the next there was this breathtaking bundle of lilac trees which was enchanting yet threatening at the same time

The first few minutes were relatively silent, only the sound of leaves under boots reached my ears. But 15 minutes in and I began to hear quiet chirps and the rustle of branches.

I carried on searching, searching for someone I don't know yet.

'Crunch'

My head snapped back in the direction of the sudden sound, gun already pointed.

Pointed at a wide eyed Aiden, the guy was snacking on peanuts.

"What? I eat when I'm nervous, you know I hate crowded, dark places, aaaand I love my nuts" he winked.

Ugh " You eat every time you breathe" I sighed locking my silver crested pistol back into my belt.

"My guyyy, you know me well".

"Be quiet, I can't concentrate over your nonsense. You know this is important" I hushed, growing impatient.

"Alright Mr pushy I'll continue to look for your Juliet" he mocked before continuing.

Based on his behaviour you would never think this clown was one of the best Assassins out here. But the guy never knows his limits.

My men had now spread out, on a quest to find someone - anyone, within the dark, dense trees and mystic held in the forest, - a known characteristic of the Evergreen. We were eventually deep in, the sun just starting to set for another cold night. It was strange though, it felt like we've only been here for 25 minutes or so.

"I found something" called out Jasper, my lead tracker, as he ran in the opposite direction.

What I then saw made me stop in my tracks.

~~~~~
A/N
Heyyy! Thankyou for reading, this is my first actual book since the one I wrote 3 years ago which was quite tragic to say the least. I hope you're all staying at home during quarantine, this is how I'm spending my time lol. Hope you enjoyed and continue to read, feel free to leave a comment and correct any grammar mistakes for me! - I'll try my best to reply :)

5.5.2020
...