"You've got to be kidding me..." you mumbled, and adjusted the bag strap over your shoulder. Okay, as long as you kept a positive attitude, you would make the distance in no time!

A burly figure slammed into your shoulder, knocking you harshly to the ground. You spat out the few bits of gravel that had made it into your mouth and gasped for air as the assailant continued to run ahead of you.

"THIEF! GIVE ME BACK MY BAG!" Through the dust cloud, you saw something rush passed you. Although a bit frazzled, you pushed yourself to your feet and blindly took chase after the pair.

He was fast, you had to hand it to him. Ahead of you, the victim had run out of steam and slowed to a forced jog. He looked to be about your age — broken glasses, a worn white cap, definitely a kid. The thief quickly gained distance between the two of you, his scrawny figure getting fainter and fainter.

As you rushed passed the boy, you threw your bag to him, knocking him flat on his butt. "Hold this for me!" You cried out, sending him in a disarray of confusion. You would have to apologize later. First off — stopping this guy. You dragged your fingers along the dirt road until they curled over something hard. Gripping the rock tightly, you hurled it at the thief.

The rock truly hit its mark. You threw your fist into the air and let out a cheer as the thief came stumbling to the ground. You then threw yourself onto the thief's back, pinning him to the ground with your knees.

"You little- mph!" The thief ate a face full of grass as you put extra pressure on his back, making him howl with pain.

"Over here!" It was the boy. Looking back, you saw the two soldiers from before approaching you at top speed. The thief saw this as well and began to panic. To your surprise, he began thrashing about violently beneath you, almost sending you tumbling.

"Stop moving, cretin!"

"We've got this." The soldier on your left hooked his hands beneath your arms, lifting you out of harm's way as his buddy dove onto the thief before he could escape. The heavy impact winded him, rendering him immobile. You and the other boy watched in great satisfaction as the thief was then handcuffed.

Just a few feet away, you spotted the boy's things. Quickly going over to them, you picked up a worn satchel and offered it to him.

"Ah- thank you! You really helped me out there." You smiled as he swapped his bag for yours.

"It's no problem at all! He was literally on my way." You joked, gesturing to the thief who had been relocated to the main gate. The boy lifted his brows in surprise.

"Really?" You hummed and nodded. He adjusted his glasses and straightened his shirt out. He then offered his hand to you. "My name is Alejo." You took his hand and shook it well.

"Y/n." He smiled at you.

"Well then, Y/n. It looks like you and I are both headed for the same place." Your eyes widened.

"We are?"

"Well, you're headed for the second wall, aren't you?"

"Uh, yeah." Alejo's face visibly brightened and he extended his hand to you once more.

"Great! That makes us travelling companions. What say you?" You liked the idea of not having to travel alone. With a hearty nod, you took up his hand yet again and shook on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours had passed and you and Alejo spoke about many things — what your interests were, where you had come from, which to came to Alejo as a major shock.