Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Busy."

He doesn't ask for further explanation, just nods his head. "We're getting ready to launch a counter attack. The archers will be in position in less than a minute, and Ethan and your father are in charge of the catapults. They'll be here soon. I want you and Beckett to lead the runners. You two are the only available ones who have been trained on them.

Nodding, I follow him over to where Beckett is standing.

"Noah safe?" he asks me, eyes steely.

"I don't know."

His mouth tightens, clearly displeased with my answer, but he nods anyway. "We'll let's get this over with."

"Alright," Jesse says, looking in between us. "It's time for you to go." Before we can leave however, Jesse grabs his son into a tight hug. Beckett tucks his head into his father's neck, seeming to take comfort in his scent. "Be safe."

Beckett nods. Together, we head out. The fighting is intense, seeming to be everywhere. We try to stick to the outskirts, but it is no use. Infected follow our scent, braking away from the others.

"I got left, you got right," Beckett says, not waiting for a response before meeting the first infected.

Tearing my eyes away from him, I focus on the two infect coming toward me. One is a human infected, which is easy enough to take out. One swipe of my club and it 's head is bashed in. The other infected is the one that worries me, though. It's a werewolf, and it looks fresh.

"Shit," I murmur.

The beast lumbers towards me, lips curled up in a snarl as it faces me. The thing is huge, at least twice the size of me, and there are no marks on it.

Its feet brace on the ground and I quickly grip onto the club with both hands, turning slightly. The beast takes my movement as a threat and lunges at me, teeth bared. Pulling back, I swing as hard as I can. The beast manages to twist slightly, so I miss it's head, but I still manage to catch it in the shoulder.

The beast howls, muscle tearing. The arm lays limp at its side, the muscle exposed as the arm was torn from the socket.

It looks like it is about to come at me again, and I raise the club up, prepared for another attack. But before it can attack, though, it seizes up, body tensing before it falls away to the ground. It takes me a moment to notice the arrow sticking out of its head.

"The archers must be in position," Beckett says.

We both look up in the trees, and sure enough, all of our archers are sitting in the trees, arrows flying through the air. My eyes meet those of a familiar looking woman. It takes me a moment to recognize her as Noah's birth mom.

"No wonder she survived this long," Beckett murmurs.

Not wasting another minute, we continue up the hill. We go mostly unnoticed. Only two other infected stumble upon us, and we are quickly able to take them out.

By the time we make it to the top of the hill, my heart is pounding. Looking down the other side of the hill, I see that our own fighters have made it up the hill, and are taking out as many humans and infected in the back as they can.

"Do you wanna run or do you want me to?"

"Flip?"

Beckett nods. Bending down, I grab a piece of wood, carving an 'x' on one side. We hold each others gaze as I through the wood up in the air. We don't look away until the wood hits the ground.

"I guess it's me," I murmur, staring at the x I had carved only seconds ago.

"I'll cover you, and the archers should know to look out for you." Beckett, walks over to the biggest tree, unhooking the wooden pedal car that was leaning against it. The back is tall, reinforced metal that must have taken forever to build. Cords are connected to it, along with another piece of metal. As I pull the metal bar away from the car, the string unwinds, glinting in the sun. There are three attachments, meant to take up as many enemies as possible.