17. HOW'S DAD DOING?

s e v e n t e e n

"OKAY, BREATHE IN AND BREATHE out," Daniel chants to me as I hyperventilate in my dressing room. "You'll do fine. I promise."

"If you break that promise, you owe me," I say between deep breaths.

"Okay," he sighs and continues chanting. Slowly my breathing becomes normal and my heart rate slows. It's the first show of the tour and I'm insanely scared. A few minutes ago, I could barely breathe. That's how bad this has gotten. After that first day, I've roomed with Dani and it always ended in us throwing food at each other. I didn't hang out with Jonah as much, trying to listen to Daniel, but it didn't always work out.

"Beautiful view, isn't it?" Jonah asks, standing on the pier next to me.

"Yeah," I sigh, "it really is." I add, looking up at him.

He looks down at me with his mysterious eyes and fixates his gaze on me. Butterflies flit in my stomach like it's the first time I met him.

"I'm ready," I sigh after a moment.

"Good," Daniel says, patting my back as I stand up.

I take a deep sigh and brace myself for the cheering crowds waiting in front of the stage. I brace myself for the shrieks of enthusiasm. I brace myself for the most magical moment that I'll ever experience.

"HOW'S DAD DOING?" Someone shouts from the crowd, causing Christina to chuckle.

"He's doing fine!" She shouts back. "Who said that?"

The audience cheers and points to a girl who ecstatically raises her hand.

"Thank you!" Christina shouts as she exits the stage. "But who knows, I may be back!" She giggles and runs to me, whispering, "You got this."

I nod to Eben as he starts the music. Taking slow steps, I walk onto the stage, emerging from the left wing.

The crowd erupts in cheers as I finish singing.

"Hey, guys! How's it going?" I ask, causing everyone to chorus some version of 'good.' "Would you believe me if I said I was just sitting in my dressing room, hyperventilating? I was utterly terrified. This is my first show ever." The audience screams loudly. "I won't keep talkin your ears off, though. Here's 'Ruin the Friendship ,' a song I wrote in high school."

I continued on with my set, relieved by my warm welcome. No one seemed to be one of the haters. They all seemed to genuinely like me and my music. The key word: seemed.

"What's up with you and Jonah?" Someone asks from the crowd.

"Well, I was friends with all these guys from high school. Life makes a crazy turn, doesn't it? I've been reconnecting with them over the past few months, and it's been fantastic," I say, beaming. "Without these guys, I wouldn't be on this stage in front of you."