4. Which Record Deal?

f o u r

"WHAT TIME IS MY AUDITION?" I ask Kara who's making breakfast.

"At 1. We'll hang out until then," Kara says, slinging her purse onto her shoulder.

"Okay," I say, going back to my room. "I'll just dress fancy now."

"Okay," she chirps, getting some orange juice to drink while waiting for me.

I decide to wear a classy royal purple dress that fits snugly. The color reminds me of that first dance of senior year. It brings a smile to my lips but a knife to my heart. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember the pain I felt when I had to end that 2 years later.

Brushing away all my feelings, I walk out of my room. "Let's go!"

"Okay," Kara says, gulping down the last sips of her drink.

We walk out of the homely penthouse and head to the elevator. I press the button and tap my foot impatiently while waiting. The doors open with a chime, and we walk in without a word. I quickly press the button for the lobby, eager to get out of this building without running into any of my old friends. Sadly, I never get what I want.

The doors open at the floor under us and Jonah walks in with a confident stride.

"Hey," he says, going to press the button for lobby. His finger stops midair as he realizes it's already pressed.

"What's up?" I ask stiltedly. I can't bring myself to act causal around him. He betrayed me.

"Nothing really," he answers.

"Where are you going?" Kara perks up.

"Just to a record place. They said they're getting someone later today that I should check out," he responds. My eyes widen in alarm. What if I'm the one they want him to see? What if it's the same place?

"Which record deal?" I ask meekly.

"Blue Island, Records," he responds nonchalantly. "Why?"

"I'm the person they want you to see," I respond, making eye contact with him.

"Oh. I promise I won't be biased or anything like that," he replies, thinking it will ease my fears.

"Yeah," I say as the doors chime open.

I walk out with Kara and wave Jonah goodbye.

"HE'S THE ONE?! HE'S THE CELEBRITY?!" I shriek once I know he can't hear me. "God!"

"At least he won't be biased?" Kara says uncertainly.

"Trust me, he will," I reply. "And it won't be in the way I want him to be."

[]

It's almost one o'clock and we're heading to the records place. Butterflies appear in my stomach and fly around at supersonic speeds. This could be the last audition of my life or it could be just like the hundreds I've already had. Fingers crossed it's the first one.

"You'll do fine," Kara reassures me. "You're very talented."

"Should I have brought a guitar or some instrument?" I ask, stressing out.

"Don't worry, they have some there," she assures me, trying to calm my nerves. "Just warm up now."

I nod my head as I start humming up and down the scale. We walk into the tall and formidable building and my stress levels increase 1000% but I try to stay calm.