I yanked at his sleeve. "But won't it affect Lucas too?"

Lucas, shoved onto the ground with blood in his mouth, must have heard my words.

"Do it!" He screamed.

Without another word, Nick spread his arms. The angel coming towards us must have picked up on what he was about to do, because he began running.

Nick shoved me behind him, and I could see beads of sweat running down his neck. Whatever he was preparing to enact was going to take everything he had left, and it was up to me to get us the hell out of here once it happened.

In a grand, sweeping gesture, Nick clapped his hands together. The sound echoed around us like thunder, and a large grey wave of power swept through the air in front of him. He shouted something to accompany the spell, but I couldn't hear it over the lingering blast. 

One by one, as the dark vapour reached them, the angels collapsed to the ground. Lucas became still under his captors, but they too quickly fell from their feet. Nick looked about ready to collapse as well, his knees shaking and his skin turning ashen.

The grey, fog-like power enveloped Nick, and quickly spread out into the air toward me. I moved toward Nick, to catch him before he could fall.

But when the grey power hit me, I fell to the ground in a scream of agony.

***

When I opened my eyes, I didn't recognise my surroundings. The walls around me were shifting and tumbling, making me feel nauseous. I tried to sit up, but that only made the spinning worse.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of strong hands supporting my back. "Woah, just stay still. You'll faint if you try to move too quickly."

Nick's blurred face came into view. I tried to reach out to him for balance, but my limbs were frighteningly weak.

"What happened?" I asked groggily.

"We got out," Nick said with a grimace. "I managed to move us out of Faith Heights. We're safe- for now."

I forced myself to sit up with a grunt. I was on a small couch, leathery and rigid. Nick was crouched beside me, his face hollow. I didn't know where we were, but it was dark outside of whatever cramped room we were holed up in. There was a whirring sound from above, maybe a fan. Another figure slowly came towards us, and I felt my heart quicken before I recognised it as Lucas. He looked down at me with a mixture of relief and bewilderment.

I rubbed my face, trying to clear my eyes. My glasses were filthy with dust, but cleaning them didn't help much.

"Why did I pass out? Why did I feel the spell?" My mouth felt dry, as if it had been stuffed with cotton balls.

Lucas hesitated. "There's an obvious reason... but it's impossible... it would explain a few things, but it can't be true-"

"Lucas, spit it out." I croaked.

He stuttered before speaking. "It means... that some part of you is angelic."

"What?" Nick spat, his head snapping in Lucas' direction with a vengeful expression. 

"That's not possible. Only human species can be old souls. Werewolves, witches, psychics... nothing touched by another world. Nothing with pure angel blood." He added, with forced composure, "Her vessel could simply be descended from a Nephilim."

Lucas shook his head, but he looked as confused by the revelation as Nick and I were. "No; for the spell to have affected her, it would have to be a vibrant, untainted angelic soul mixed with her own spirit... She is part angel." He stated, as if he didn't fully believe it himself.

How... how was that even possible? It was a ridiculous accusation. Unfathomable.

But what other explanation was there?

It should have been impossible. It was impossible. But, as I looked around at the angel and demon before me, I knew that, whatever the explanation, we were in this together.

For better or for worse.

If we had to fight through fire and rain, heaven and hell, to find answers, then the three of us would find a way.

And once we found those allusive, taunting answers, the angels wouldn't know what hit them.

And so as I looked over at Nick's pained, tired face, I swore to myself, 

Through fire and rain, 

heaven and hell, 

angels and demons,

and the terrifying unknown in between,

I would find a way.

***

Well, that's it! Thank you to everyone that read, commented, voted and followed over the last few months! It's meant the world to me. 

Feel free to comment or inbox me anything you thought worked or didn't work, any questions you might have, or if you'd like a little hint at what might be coming in 'Gravity' (Faith Heights #2).

Again, thank you to everyone, seeing people enjoying my stories is always the highlight of my day! :)