Chapter 32

The semester break was kicked off with a mountain of homework. Faith Heights was a supernatural training ground first and foremost, but to maintain their educational esteem, I guess they really did need to produce star-reaching academics. I chose to start with the biology quiz questions, notes scattered around my dorm floor like coloured snow. I was waist deep in the paper, and was relieved when my phone began buzzing from my desk.

I was pleasantly surprised to see my friend Crystal's number pop up on the screen. But that surprise quickly morphed to unease- she would want to discuss Faith Heights. What could I tell her?

The entire school is run by werewolves and witches and ghosts- and a mysterious headmistress that has already threatened my life. Oh, and my soulmate is an angel.
Yes, that would go down wonderfully.

I picked up on the fourth ring. A happy shriek echoed from the other end.

An unexpected, lilting voice cooed, "I thought we weren't going to reach you! Your mum said you've been really busy with exams."

"Alice? What are you doing on-"

"I'm here, too." Crystal chimed in. "We all are. We wanted to make sure you were keeping your sanity."

That was kind of a heavy question. In her eyes, no, I'd lost my sanity months ago, courtesy of Jackson.

"It was hit and miss in that department for a while, but I think I've finally got a handle on it." I confessed in a forcefully light tone.

"Good," Alice breathed out. "We couldn't have you flaking out on us when we're about to come spring you."

Cheering erupted on their end, and alarms started going off on mine. They couldn't come here- not only was it highly frowned upon by Leclair, but they'd most likely meet Lucas, who I definitely wasn't ready to introduce to the humans in my life.

"You can't come." I fired back. "The headmistress has this rule about students that are taking holiday classes having visitors. I don't think you'd be allowed on the grounds."

Tom scoffed. "I should've guessed you'd be taking holiday classes. I bet you haven't even left the school grounds yet."

"Of course I have. It's not a prison."

"It sure sounds like one, if you're not allowed visitors." Alice grumbled. 

"I am- it's just bad timing." I stammered.

"It's school break. If now isn't a good time, then I doubt there will be a better chance before the end of the year." Crystal said huskily. 

If I'd even come home, then. With Lucas and my friends here, I couldn't imagine taking time off to fake an old life in Grifith. I'd changed; I still loved my friends from home, but I couldn't share this – or any part of my new reality - with them. It wasn't anyone else's fault, it was simply the way things were now. The way things had to be. But there was no way I could explain that to them without hurting their feelings- which was the last thing I wanted.

When I didn't respond, Crystal urged, "What is the school like? Your parents showed us some photos they took, but they said they didn't really get a feel for the school. Well, your mum thinks she did, but that's less factual and more based on whatever gut instinct she'd chosen to follow that month."

I agreed, smiling. Crystal knew my mother as well as I did, quirky qualities and all.

"So, how is it?" Alice pressed. "Have you been nominated for a Nobel prize yet?"

I laughed. "Honestly, the school isn't as pompous as the brochures make it seem. Faith Heights is actually..." What? A supernatural refuge? E-harmony for magical soulmates?