*Chapter 2*

"And just where do you think you're going?", a voice growled.

Misty whirled around, now face-to-face with the one and only.

"What do you want, Harris?", she snarled defensively.

He looked outraged. "Why do you repeatedly wander into my territory?!", he demands. "Have you not learned your lesson, you little-".

He stopped abruptly and his eyes widened. He hissed angrily and snarled, "What are you doing here?!"

Misty tilted her head in confusion and turned around. She squealed in surprise and backed up in fear.

In front of her stood three of the largest cats she had ever seen. One was a dark brown tabby she-cat with white paws and light brown eyes. Next was a light-grey tabby she-cat with a white muzzle and belly, milky-brown eyes glaring. Finally, there was a jet black tom with bright green eyes.

"We could ask you the same thing, flea-brain", snarled the tom. His ears flattened aggressively. "You always claim our area yours, and take your anger out on measly, little kittypets!"

"Darkleaf, be quiet", the brown cat meowed. The tom, Darkleaf, growled at her, but stopped pushing it. The brown she-cat turned her head and glared at Harris.

"You've been warned several times to stay away from our territory, and yet you still wander here. Do you realize how that will effect not only you but all of us?"

Harris scowled in disbelief. "That's crazy. What could a lonely rogue do to a large group of cats?"

Large group of cats?

"You know darn well what would happen." When Harris didn't respond, she continued. "If you continue to salvage our prey and take away more territory, other cats will see it as an advantage and fight you for your so-called 'land'. Then my Clan would have to get involved, making it into an all out war because some stupid fox-heart decided to claim owned territory as his."

She stepped forward and snarled menacingly. "So leave. You don't belong in this portion of the forest. If you don't, Daystar will find a way to deal with you, and we all know how that will turn out."

Harris began to look frightened. How scared could he possibly be, Misty wondered. Are these forest cats that ferocious?

The light-grey tabby and Darkleaf stepped forward, confronting Harris. Harris snarled. "You may have won this time, but I will be back!"

And then he was gone.

The brown tabby watched him leave, then turned to look at Misty, who was looking mortified by the whole thing.

"Don't worry, little one", the brown tabby purred comfortingly. "He'll be gone for a long time."

Misty made a face of doubt. "But he said he'll b-".

"Don't worry about it", said the grey tabby. "He was just trying to sound tough."

"We need to head back, Fernsky", meowed Darkleaf. "Daystar will be wondering where we are." He shook out his pelt.

Fernsky nodded. "You're right, Darkleaf. Amberfang, you and Darkleaf go on ahead. I'll catch up."

Amberfang narrowed her eyes. "What're you do-".

"Do it."

Darkleaf and Amberfang shared a glance before heading back into the forest.

Fernsky looked at Misty again. "Do you live here?"

The question took Misty off guard. "Y-yes", she stuttered. "All my life."

"You're quite small, but you handled the situation brilliantly. How old are you?"

Misty was growing suspicious. "Why are you asking so many questions? And why did you not leave? I don't mean anything to you, do I?"

Fernsky sighed. "The thing is, my Clan has always disowned kittypets because they think they're too soft. But I've seen you, and you are a very courageous cat. Better than most kittypets I've seen."

"You keep saying that word. What's a 'kittypet'?", Misty asked, annoyed. It sounded more like an insult than a word that describes someone.

"It's what you are. A cat that lives with twolegs."

"Twolegs? You mean no-furs?"

"Is that what you call them? You kittypets have some strange names for things", Fernsky meowed, whiskers twitching in amusement. "What's your name, little one?"

Misty didn't realize that she hadn't given Fernsky her name. Sitting up straighter, she meowed proudly, "My name is Misty."

I hope you all like my new book so far! Chapter 3 will be out soon!
Be sure to vote, comment, and share!
Thanks!
-Tori