I was at a lost for words, too nervous to look him in the eyes.

How could his father send him to a pack with wolves like that? I can't even imagine the type of emotional trauma he went through. I would've been terrified.

"What are you thinking?" He asked after I was silent for a few minutes. "I just- why would your father send you there? What if you got seriously hurt?!" My heart rate was increasing as I rushed to get the words out.

"My father regrets sending me there every day. He says that it changed me, but I think it was the best decision he ever made. Yeah, I got beat down more times then I'd like to admit. But in the end, I came out stronger mentally and physically." He explained.

My wolf began pacing in the back of my mind, clearly on edge. I was drawn away from my wolf's behavior as Owen stood to his feet. "I'm sorry Parmus but I have to go." He began moving things around the kitchen counters she searched for something.

"Where are you going?" I asked as my eyes landed on the keys laying on the table. "I'm helping build a house for one of the pack members."

I tried to hold back a laugh as he continued searching the kitchen. Grabbing the keys, I stood to my feet and walked towards him. "Here." I said, holding the keys out in my hand. He glanced at the keys then at me and smiled. "Thanks." He grabbed them and sighed.

"I'll be back for dinner." Nodding, I took a step back and allowed him to leave. He got all the way to the living room archway before he turned to face me again. "You'll call if you need anything right?"

"Of course." I reassured him. He eyed me for a few seconds before he turned and took off down the hall.

I decided to call up Esther to see if she wanted to catch up on homework. It wasn't how I like spending my Saturdays, but it needed to be done. After she gave me the directions to her house, I threw on my snow boots and gloves, then hopped into the BMW. Her house was about a ten minutes drive from the pack house.

When I arrived I hopped out of the now heated car and walked to her front door. They had a big two story house, that was gorgeous on the outside.

Before I could knock on the door, it was pulled open. An older woman with dirty blonde hair and crystal blue eyes stood before me with a smile plastered on her far. "Parmus! I've heard so much about you. I'm Esther's Mom Cindy." She held out her hand for me to take.

"Nice to meet you." I said as I shook her hand. "Come in. Esther Parmus is here!" I walked further into the house before she closed the door behind me. A few seconds later Esther appeared at the top of the stairs. "Hey, come on up." I shot Cindy a smile before I made my way up the stairs.

"Do you girls need anything?" Esther rolled her eyes in annoyance. "No mom we're good."

"Okay just let me know if you do." Her Mom left into the living room.

"She's nice." I stated as we walked down the hall to Esther's room. "Yeah she's just a little overbearing." Esther's room was at the end of the hall. Once we entered, I placed my backpack against the nightstand and joined her on her bed.

Her room was a nice size. Her walls were painted a subtle yellow that complemented her creme furniture. "I love your room." She laid on her stomach and propped herself up with her elbows. "Thanks, my mom did it. She used to be a stay at home Mom until I turned thirteen, then she decided to try her hand in interior design. She's decorated thirty percent of the pack's houses." She explained.

"That's so cool." Interior decorating sounded like a pretty awesome career path.

Esther shrugged, "I'm just glad she found something to keep her busy. She stayed in me and my siblings business all the time." I chuckled, knowing what it was like. My brother and father always had to know what I was doing at every second of the day, it got exhausting sometimes but I knew it was out of love.

"Are you the youngest?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's Carmen, Coraline, then me. My parents gave up on the whole C thing with me." She explained, before I could ask.

"You're going to college next fall right?" She eyed me expectingly. "Uh yeah, I plan to." I had applied to a few colleges in the south and got in. I secretly started applying to some up North. I didn't like to hide things, but I knew the whole college thing didn't go over well with Owen.

"Oh okay, same. What do you want to do?" She asked as she pulled out a bag of Doritos. "Something in the medical field. I'm not quite sure yet."

She nodded then offered me some chips when I shook my head she began eating. "Hey Carmen works at the hospital I'm sure she wouldn't mind letting you shadow her." My eyes lit up with excitement. "Really? That's sounds great! Thank you!"

"No problem, she owes me a favor anyway." I was beyond excited to be shadowing someone at the hospital. It was a great opportunity for me to see what I'd be doing and if I even liked it.

"I have to say, I'm surprised Alpha is allowing you to go off to college." She said before biting into a chip. "Why would you say that?" She tilted her head to the side and shot me a "really" look. "Parmus I know he's your mate."

I glanced at her and sighed. "He doesn't want me to." I finally admitted. She rolled her eyes and sat up. "Yeah I'm not surprised. Hopefully he'll come around." It didn't matter if Owen came around or not, I was going to College with or without his permission. I had worked too hard all these years just for it to go to waste.

"What are you going to school for?" She sighed deeply, letting me know there was a story coming. "My Dad does the pack's finances, so I'm following in his footsteps I guess you could say."

"But you don't want to...?" She shot me a weak smile the stood. "Both my sisters chose a different career path so my father always hoped I would choose to follow him. He never pressured me, but I knew he always wanted me to. And when I told him I would be going to College for finance, he was so proud. He still brags about it to this day."

"Well what do you want to do?" Her eyes met mine as she thought of her answer. "That's the thing Parmus, I don't know. I just want to get away for a while, ya know?" I nodded understandingly.

She shook her head and joined me on her bed again. "Let's start working on this stupid homework before it gets too late." We both pulled out our textbooks and got to work.

***

Sorry about the late update. Life ya know? ☹️

Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. We learned a little bit more about Owen's background. More to come in the next chapter.

Okay I'm going to be answering a few questions:

What is the name of the songs that you use in your chapters?
A: Each song is listed and the end of every chapter. If not let me know and I'll fix it.

Do you have a Spotify playlist?
A: No but I follow a playlist called Chill Zone on Spotify. (One of my readers created it)

Song:
The Bay~ Soft Glass