-17-

I was sore, extremely sore. Each step I took had me wincing on instinct. Carter had gone easy on me, but even with that I left with a few punches to my lower body. He didn't go for "my money maker," as he would say, which I was grateful for. At the end of the day, I hated fighting. It went against everything I stood for, but sadly this was the way of life and I had to accept it.

I was walking down the hallway when Kohl turned the corner and popped out in front of me. "Ahh!" I said as I held my hands up in defense. "S-sorry!" He said as he brought my hands down to my side.

I sighed. "No I'm sorry, you just scared me." He gave me a sheepish grin. "Have you seen my sister? She stole my phone."

I shook my head. "No I haven't." He nodded then turned on his heel. "Okay, thanks anyway."

After Kohl left, I went up to my room and took a quick shower. I changed into jeans and a plain t-shirt. Ready to find something to eat, I opened my bedroom door and came to a halt as Owen stood in front of me.

"Uh hey." He said after I took a step back.

"Hi." I said. He ran his hand through his hair nervously, causing me to silently question what was bothering him. "What is it Owen?"

"I was um...do you want to have lunch together?" I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of Owen being nervous about asking me to have lunch with him. "Sure!" I said excitedly.

He visibly relaxed as he grabbed my hand and lead me into the kitchen. Chicken and waffles were laid out on the kitchen table which had my stomach growling at the smell.

I took a seat across from Owen then began stacking my plate with food. I reached for the syrup the same time Owen did, causing us to both pull away. He smiled then slid it closer to me. "Thanks." I said as I poured the syrup over my waffle. Nodding, he bit into his food silently.

"How was your life in your old pack?" He asked after he had been eating in silence for a few minutes. "Nothing special, I would go to school during the day, cook when I got home then catch up on homework. Saturday's I would visit Leanne then watch Netflix."

"Who's Leanne?" He asked.

"She's an elder I took care of. It kept me busy and I enjoyed her company." He nodded. "What about the summer?"

"I took online college classes." He stayed silent, but I noticed him tense up. "When did you become Alpha?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "Four years ago. It was right after I finished my training in British Columbia."

"Oh cool, how was that?" I was intrigued at this point, wanting to know what it was like in other pack's territories. He dropped his gaze to his plate as his mind drifted to the memories of the past. "They were a very strict pack. I found myself constantly having to prove myself and claw my way to the top."

"You didn't kill anyone did you?" I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth. It was too personal and I wasn't ready to hear the answer. His eyes locked on mine for a few moments before they dropped back to his plate. "Their pack was hardly functional. You didn't want to step out of line, or it'd be serious consequences. If you planned to challenge someone, you better have planned to kill because that was the only way you were getting out of it." That pack sounded horrible, I wouldn't have lasted a day.

"There was this other next in line alpha from the North, I knew since day one he was going to be a problem. I didn't want to be there so I stayed to myself and didn't talk much. To him, this was a sign of weakness...but that was his mistake." His eyes shot to mine as his face became void of emotion. "The Alpha of the pack I was training at took a liking to me and it angered him, so he waited months before he finally challenged me. As you can see I walked out of there alive."