Together

Used to be, in ye olden days, every December, a Lord of Misrule presided over the winter holidays, called back then, the Feast of Fools.

-

     "What do you say, Pop? Is it okay?" Archie asked carrying a Christmas tree into the shop with his dad "The best tree yet. Thanks, Archie, thanks, Fred." Pop Tate smiled "Oh, no. Thank you, Pop, for letting us set up shop right in front of your diner." Fred thanked him, they were selling Christmas trees right out front of the diner. 

    Cleo smiled as she walked in, she always loved Christmas time, even though it came with a hint of sadness. "Hey, Jug." she walked over to his booth and kissed his cheek "How was business?" Jughead asked, watching as she stole his coffee and took a sip "Slow, with the colder weather an all." She shrugged "So cold weather affects whatever it is you're doing?" Jug questioned. 

     Cleo held up a finger "Ah, I told you no questions. I didn't stop you from becoming a serpent, I didn't stop you from going to Penny....but I will protect you from getting your hands dirty." she told him, a sadness in her eyes. She knew FP was right, she wasn't protecting Jughead like she promised but she'll be damned if she doesn't start now.

      "Hey, Red." Cleo nodded as Archie walked over to them and sat down "Cleo." he nodded back, he was still on the fence about the whole serpent thing. "You guys gonna stay in town for break?" Jughead asked his friend "Yeah. We were gonna visit my mom, but she booked a single's cruise so..." Archie trailed off "How are you and Veronica?" Jughead asked him, everyone knew something was up when they both ran off stage at FP's retirement party. "We've been better." Archie sighed.

 "Jughead, you want a Christmas tree, you and your dad? On the house." Mr. ANdrews asked from the doorway "It'll have to be a small one, Mr. A." Jughead smiled "Cleo, what about you?" he asked, Cleo was shocked for a moment. She had met Fred a few times in passing, but why would he willingly offer a tree for free. "Oh, uh, n-no thank you, Mr. Andrews." she stammered he nodded and left. "No tree?" Jughead questioned. Cleo shrugged "You have your traditions, I have mine." she gave a fake smile. 

    See, when Cleo was little Christmases were a big thing but when her dad went away she could never afford a tree or gifts so she spent Christmas instead alone at her trailer watching old movies and drinking hot chocolate. Mr. Andrews offering a free tree was nice but she didn't have anything to decorate it with so she figured it could go to a family that would appreciate it.

  "So, I'll see you at Kevin's Secret Santa thing?" Archie asked "Yeah. Because that sounds like a great idea." Jughead said sarcastically. The boys laughed and Archie said goodbye before going to help his dad outside. "What do you do on Christmas?" Jughead asked curious. "I thought we agreed no questions?" Cleo smiled and tapped his nose. "That was only about your Serpent duties....not about your personal life. I'd like to know what my girlfriend does for the holidays." 

    He wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her close to him. "Nothing, I sit at home and watch old Christmas movies on Tv. Eat some quick meal and drink hot chocolate." Cleo shrugged "After my dad...and my mom....well when you're alone it seems pointless to celebrate something like Christmas." she looked down at the table with an unreadable expression.

-

So Christmas was happening, even though this year's Lord of Misrule was none other than the Black Hood.