39 | history notes

Start from the beginning

    "You do — "

    " — and I feel horrible for almost ruining what you two have," I say in a rush, flickering my gaze between her and Vic. She follows and visibly swallows. "Because that's the last thing I want, Liv."

    "Addie." She turns her whole body to me. "I know that. And I don't mind your support. You've been there when it comes to guys that wanna take advantage of me. Sometimes I am naïve to see through their intentions." She licks her lips. "But when it comes to guys I actually like... correction; guy, since this is the first time I've felt this way," she whispers, glancing quickly at Vic and blushing right after, "you can offer advice any time you want, but leave all the decisions to me, alright?"

    "Absolutely. One-hundred percent." Pause. "Swear on my life."

    "Swear on your dad's gnomes."

     My mouth twitches. "I swear it on my father's dwarfish creatures."

     She grins. "Then it's settled."     

     We hug, in the only way best friends know how to, like those girls in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I can't remember their names.

     Someone claps near us.

     Vic puts down his hands when no one follows him. He skims around the table in sincere confusion. "Oh, we're not suppose to clap?"

     Trey rolls his eyes.

     I analyse them more closely. Despite having my own clashes with Liv and indirectly with Vic as well, I don't think there was any animosity between the two boys. Granted, Vic had to stick with Liv and Trey had to stick with me after everything that happened — but between the other pair of best friends, I'd say they were always cordial. Brotherly.

     I catch Vic's eye.

    "I'm sor — "

    "Save it," he interrupts with a smile. "You don't need to apologise. Trust me, I get it, and it's totally fine now."

     I blink. "Okay." I don't know how to respond to that. "Cool."

     Vic winks at me.

     And for once, everything feels normal again. How it was before the twins got involved; Liv, Trey, Vic and I, the four of us together. Best friends reunited. We could end it this way. The way we started.

     But Trey and I are missing our halves.

     Which begs me to unearth a vital question...

    "So," I wiggle my eyebrows at her, "are you, like, bisexual now?"

     Liv smacks me in the head.

***

     A best friends' reunion also requires painting each other's nails.

    "Why did you paint this one in full colour and the other one with patterns?" Liv squints.

     I shrug. "Versatility."

    "It doesn't look right."

    "Your face doesn't look right."

     Liv throws a pillow at my face. I catch that pillow and am about to return the hit before a knock comes from my door. I smile to myself. Penny's learned her manners.