Chapter Two: Heart of the Forest

🌹🌹🌹

🌹🌹🌹

Dinner didn't last as long this evening. After hurrying to my room in fear that Gale may launch himself at me I take a moment to catch my breath. The way he had been watching me at the dinner table this evening was sickening. With my back pressed against the door I could feel my chest heaving up and down. Gale will be here soon once everyone returns to doing their own thing. My aunt will be in my uncle's study like always and the others wouldn't help me even if I scream. 

A panic rose in my chest just as a determined feeling in my heart awoken. I push myself from the door to open my window and see that the sun is already starting to set. Without hesitation, I pick up the pile of blankets I tied together then I hurl them out the window. They fell the ground noiselessly and I triumphantly smile.

Thank goodness this is the backside of the house, no one will see me. I thought to myself as I lean out the window to see if everything looks clear to escape.

"Please let this work," I whisper encouragement to myself before I grab a small bag and start climbing down. I've only read this in books and it always works out for the characters. With the luck that I've been granted though the blankets will untie and I'll fall to my death. 

Sure enough, I could hear my bed scrapping the hardwood flooring. The muscles in my body tighten as fear strikes my heart. Glancing down, unmoving, I anticipate my fall from the three story house. However, the bed stops moving and that's when I pick up my pace climbing down to reach the ground.

"That was a close one," I breathe out while clutching my bag close to me as I sprint towards the forest. There was no time to even try and hide the blankets hanging from my window. I'll be long gone before they even notice.

I hope.

I search for the trail that will take me where I need to go, the heart of the forest. The place I go every year to mourn my uncle's death. He took me there the first day he brought me home. It was when I was ten years old. I remember that day like it was yesterday. It'll be strange visiting the area when it isn't winter, yet still nostalgic.

What would I find there? What could be waiting there that I wouldn't have noticed already? He said the ribbon would help me. But how? I opened the letter when I was ready so no one would know when I would be coming. Did he leave hints in the letter? Oh no, I threw the letter into the fire afraid my aunt would discover it.

How could I do such a thing?!

The sound of a twig snapping behind me causes me to turn around in fear that someone is following me. It couldn't be him, right?

A figure appears from behind a tree. The person had been tall and familiar, way too familiar. His head is down, but I could feel his smirk as my eyes stare in horror. A daunting chuckle is let out as my knees buckle in place. A cold chill runs up my spine and I shudder uncontrollably at the sight of Gale.